Little help with installing of factory gauge cluster (with tach)

I just brought a gauge cluster with tach that im tring to install in my 72 510, I have the white wire that goes to the coil but it also has what looks like factory plugs that have the lights for the tach and the black and green wire that comes out of the tach as well all wired on 2 plugs(see pic)

I thought mabe there would be the female plug behind the dash to hook it up but there is not. Any tips on what to connect the lights and tach to?

Here's a pic...

F8AFEE74-3337-4F2C-A294-F1AC65238DDE-185

Hope you can make that out...

The 2 wires(black/green) come out of the tach and than those all wired together to 2 plugs and 2 lights..

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... The plug that looks factory but i have no mateing plug to connect it to which hooks up the back lights for the tach ill run/tap into the speedo side plug.... That will also be connected to the black wire coming out of the back of the tach. This would leave what looks like the stock harness intact. The coil wire is there and ran. No issues there

Now I just need to know where I can run the other green wire to. Im sure its the ground...

Prob a stupid question. Is the body/frame used as a ground on the 510? Or do i need to run it somewhere specific..

Thanks Tristin... I will look again before I "tap" in to anything. My harness is pretty much untouched and really don't want to mess with it...

Hoping to find that plug and just run the coil wire and ground. Just need to know what/where to ground to.

With tongue firmly in cheek, if you are going to use "macgyver" as a name, you should be aware that "much is expected of MacGuyver" even if he doesn't have a Swiss Army Knife.  Seriously, the factory wiring diagrams sometimes leave a lot to be desired.  Tristin Grind has the right attitude and advice, go slow, double check, and my advice "sleep on it before you start cutting".  Many times I have thought I had the God's only true answer and after a good night's sleep discovered that I had overlooked a fatal error in my thinking. 

I have kept my 1967 RL411 running for 45 years by not doing anything stupid, or at least not until I checked with an expert.  I had the great good fortune to have the mechanic at my local UNOCAL [remember that dead brand?] station to have been the lead mechanic until he retired on the DATSUN USA racing team.  It turns out that he was the go-between with Yokohama on designing the modification needed to cram the type R 1600cc engine into the "too small" 411 engine compartment.  Unfortunately he has retired and moved out of contact.

Thanks and yes on taking time before I "tap" into anything.... That's why i said I'm going to look over it again(with the diagram) to find the factory plug..... Just wanted to see if any wiring/510 veterans/ gurus out here new something that a new owner (myself) doesn't..thanks for the advice...

For those who might be doing the same swap,

I found the "clock:tach" wire loom and connector wrapped up in blue tape on the main dash harness by where the radio is mounted. You Cant see it unless you undo the harness clamps and pull it down a bit... That has all the wires you need except for the white coil wires. Those get ran to the coil.

Just thought id share...

For those who might be doing the same swap,

I found the "clock:tach" wire loom and connector wrapped up in blue tape on the main dash harness by where the radio is mounted. You Cant see it unless you undo the harness clamps and pull it down a bit... That has all the wires you need except for the white coil wires. Those get ran to the coil.

Just thought id share...

One Attaboy! for sharing.