Truck wouldn't start after it's been driven???

barricade88

I was driving to the store and when I walked out to my truck, I started it and drove off but then it died. I could get it to fire. It would turn over but that was it. I'm thinking it was flooded? Cuz it sounds like it was getting too much fuel. I'm not really sure what else it could be. I had spark to my coil and to number 1.. I got it runnin after about 20 minutes in the 90 degree weather. Any suggestions??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the fuel return line connected and working?  Hot motor sitting in the heat for 10 min is a recipe for vapor lock. The gas boils in the hot fuel lines and even inside the carb. It can boil over and flood but you said it started so probably the pump was just compressing fuel vapor in the lines. A fuel return line will cure this.

The carb doesn't have really anything to do with the return line. You can connect it up.

The return looks like this... fuel line from tank to the fuel pump. Fuel from pump to a line that goes over to the carb where there is a connection to the carb, then looping back near the pump again. In the end on the line is a restriction with a small pin hole in the end, then a line back to the fuel tank. The small restriction is important so that fuel will build pressure between it and the pump or the gas will simply follow the path of least resistance and flow back to the tank. With pressure between the pump and the restriction, gas will now be forced into the carb.

At all times a small amount of fuel will be passing through the small pin hole and returning to the tank. This constant circulation replaces the heated fuel near the carb with cold fuel from the tank. If the fuel should get so hot that it boils, any vapor bubbles will be pushed along and back to the tank.

If you have all the hard lines between the pump and the carb yes, put them back on. The 620 has two hard lines on the frame near the starter. The larger diameter one is the return. There is also a hard line for vacuum advance between the carb and the dizzy so you may see three lines in that area.

There's more to the return than just connecting the line up. There is a small restriction in that return so that the pump will build som pressure or else the gas will just run right pasts the carb and back into the tank.

Here is an L20B return line. This end with the hole connects to the hard line back to the tank.... NOTE the small hole. The hose below it is the pressure line TO the carb.

fuelreturn002Large.jpg

You have a mechanical fuel pump on it right? Then run it. Why make this hard?

Another advantage of a return line is that when the motor stops the fuel pressure quickly bleeds out the return hole.

well thank you Mike, again your knowledge astounds me. I think I am going to hook mine back up (probably wire brush the end and blow back through it to make sure its clean first) and try running it that way. Of course my pressure regulator is between the pump and the carb, so I may just omit it for the time being. I belive that i read the pressure from a stock pump isnt that much