Driveshaft Bumpstop

Kathos

So I took my car for a cruise the otherday with my 3" drop and the ride was way to bouncy even after I trimmed the outside stops. Then I looked underneeth and found the driveshaft stop. I figured that my outside bumpstops would keep the driveshaft from rattling the tunnel so I removed the center bumpstop. This didnt work so now I am looking for some input on how much you guys trimmed off your center bumpstop so you had no more tunnel scrapage.

This is what Im talking about. Im thinking of cutting right at the top line. Its a really dense rubber so Id rather not cut it more then once, and I dont want to trim too much.

zfvy.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

710rearbumpstops002Large.jpg

There is no diff bump stop on my 710 goon. Maybe lots of room and not needed? I used a 2" block, but also added a cut down leaf, 2nd one up, to help reduce suspension travel which i think is an almost required thing on a lowered vehicle. Most if not all cars are way too soft from the factory so a bit of firmness never hurts the handling.

710rearbumpstops003Large.jpg

My untouched/stock height sedan has 5 leaves and a bit more space above the axle.

Maybe 3" on the diff bump stop?

710rearbumpstops005Large.jpg

I would try to trim the bump stops to get the same open space between them and the moving parts as before it was lowered. This will allow more travel for the shocks to actually do their job. Unfortunately you will also travel closer to the ground on dips in the road and may bottom out more. Again stiffer springs will help avoid this. .

Yeah, I dont have nearly that much clearance to the diff. When my cars on the ground I have maybe a half an inch of clearance from the bump stop to the diff.. I just dont want to cut too much off but would like as much suspension travel as possible. Im not too worried about bottoming out. The outside bump stops should stop me before that happens.

Cut it down to the line. Still barely any clearance. The allowable travel is so small that I think before I was actually sitting on that bumpstop. I took off about 3/4". Might have to go a little more. Ill know when I test drive it.

Just an update. I cut it down about an inch. I decided I would cut it down in small increments so I can stop where it feels good. Even though my suspension travel in the rear is very limited, every little bit makes a world of difference. Basically I want the most travel I can get before A)My drive shaft hits or B) My tires rub in my fenders. Heres where Im at right now.

cj8y.jpg2v9u.jpg62i9.jpgkzdj.jpg

I think the outer ones are the most important.  The pinion one is more for burning out.  If I were you, I would cut it the same amount as you lowered your car.  This is crazy to me, the ones on my cars are like 1".  Oh, and another thing you might consider is drilling a bunch of holes in it.