Hardbody wheel came off... Need a little help

So bought a hardbody last night and one of the rear wheels came off on the highway...

How do I get the axle out of the rear end?

Also what are the specs(thread pitch and all) on my lugs and studs so I can get new ones. Would like to get a set of the fancy "tuner" lugs if possible

Please lmk any help is greatly appreciated

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.  Really, you should get a manual for this procedure.  There's more to it than "unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube".  You have to undo the brake lines, remove the parking brake cable, unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube, remove axle and backing plate as a unit, then unscrew the locking ring from the bearing assembly before you can get he axle off the backing plate. I'm sure I missed something in that.  Plus the procedure may differ depending on what particular axle you have, or be year specific, since Hardbodies were made for quite some time and had a couple different axle types.

You sure on that?? Pretty sure they're all 12x1.25 unless it changed on the later models 

You could be right. I know it's close. Ollz.

Cross-threaded is better than no threaded.

Yes.  Really, you should get a manual for this procedure.  There's more to it than "unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube".  You have to undo the brake lines, remove the parking brake cable, unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube, remove axle and backing plate as a unit, then unscrew the locking ring from the bearing assembly before you can get he axle off the backing plate. I'm sure I missed something in that.  Plus the procedure may differ depending on what particular axle you have, or be year specific, since Hardbodies were made for quite some time and had a couple different axle types.

^That.

BUT-to just replace studs, that much is not needed.

OP-Why do you have to remove entire axle?

Ok that sounds do-able i was mostly asking about the stuff I couldnt see because I couldn't figure out how the axle shaft was held in lol. However I have an 86.5 but what's weird is that the axle is mounted under the leafs already and it does not look like anything has been modified at all... Is that stock for the 4x4s?