Different types of l20b heads

DATSUN671

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just printed out these pages a couple of days ago, since I spotted a couple of heads at Pull n Save the last time I was there that might be closed chambered heads. DATSUN671 - I have a feeling if you are hanging Webers on your engine, you are going for maximum performance and should be looking for a closed chambered head,  Larger diameter valves and valve seats can be installed in an L head (for a price). Of course the hotter you build an engine, the less drivable it will be on the street, so there are limits to what you should do.

"FYI, the uncut surface-to-surface thickness of the L-series cylinder head is 107.9mm/4.248". " Awhile back I looked all over for this spec. I knew I'd read it somewhere, but just couldn't find it, even in my factory service manuals. Of course when I need the spec again, I'll have forgotten where I found it.

I have a dream of some way to tell if a head is open or closed chamber without removing it from the block. Either a fiber optic scope through a spark plug hole, or feeling across the face of the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole with a stiff wire. Anyone else think of an idea to do this?

Len

i have a w58 head and i was wondering on the exhaust ports can those steel liners be cut off and would the flow be better?

thanks for the help.

Yes they can be removed, I've done this on a closed chamber W58 before. The valves have to come out. The first one took almost an hour, the last about 15min. I split them legthwise with a hammer and chizzle and twisted them out. Lot of work. Might gain a few hp on a heavily modded engine.

on the zcar heads with the metal liners they have not shown any hp increase when they are removed on a stock setup. possible on a motor being pushed to its limits that it would free up a lil bit but is it worth it? arent those the round exhaust ports anyways....