My lady was being unfair.. So I bought a Fairlady

Finally got myself a Fairlady  :hug:

I've been on the hunt for a while & found myself a 1973 Datsun 240z for super cheap!

This is gonna be a longggg and relatively slow build.. but I'm already in love haha

Pro's:

-Complete Car

-Almost everything is there

-No Accidents

-It's a great base for a project

-It's a 240z(when you say the word "two-forty" around my area, people immediately assume you mean S13 240sx & you drift. Nobody knows what a "Datsun" or a "240z" is around here nor do many people have one lol)

-Underside isn't that bad

-The brakes work great lmao. I was very surprised

-The car rolls with no issues

Con's:

-Doesn't run for multiple reasons

-Tires are no longer tires

-The roof.. lmao

-Floor Boards are...not there lol

-Rust, but the majority of it is surface rust

-Automatic(gonna be changed VERY soon. I have an extra L24 with a 4 speed attached)

-Salvage title(I'll explain)

-I'm confident it sat for over 20 years

-it's DIRTY

Pics!

Just got delivered to me yesterday from Kentucky :hyper:

Pic was off my buddies' iPhone lol. That's me sitting underneath the car hoping I'm not going to regret buying the car sight unseen lmao

s30021.jpg

The car was offloaded and then..
s30022.jpg
With a bit of "questionable" towing, a shit ton of weird stares, a lot of cuss words, & a lot of pushing; the car made it safely into my buddies'
garage 2 blocks down the street.(excuse the mess lol, this whole thing was on short notice)
s30012.jpg

Had to run back to work so that was that for yesterday

Today:
Took some time to open up the car & get things addressed+situated
(& like a fxcking ninja, I quickly grabbed one of the stickers I've had for a few years & threw that thing on the car without anybody noticing :ninja: )
s30037.jpg

Some rust here, but there's no holes

s30063.jpg

Rear carpet was SHITTY, but almost no real rust underneath! The spare was in great shape,it even had the genuine 1973 air that it came with! The factory jack & stoppers were in the car too which I guess is a little bonus
s30056.jpg

s30061.jpg

Engine bay looks pretty solid.  The battery tray is actually in 1 piece but it's covered in surface rust. The hood light is there as well which kind of surprised me.  The motor isn't locked up & I removed the valve cover just see how ugly it was underneath. A bit of sludge around the gasket, but absolutely nothing but clean oil & clean surfaces everywhere else. Hell the chain even looked brand new lol. Either way though just about everything is there for me to swap onto my other L24(which is in even better shape)with the 4 speed on it, which will be getting swapped into my Z very soon  :thumbup:
s30041.jpg

The "bad" stuff/sadface
Of all reasons for a car to obtain a "Salvage title".. the reason my Z has one is because when the previous owner had it.. the guy kept it outside & limbs from trees fell on the roof which put many dents into it.. & one of the bigger limbs falling happened to be heavier than the others, & just so happened to fall & hit the top right corner of the hatch where it meets the roof..which indented that whole area.. which gave the car a salvage title.

It's honestly not even that bad in person & the hatch has absolutely no issues opening & closing!  I plan on doing something about this soon after I have my other engine swapped into the car
s30039.jpg

s30040.jpg

s30068.jpg

This part also has me a bit confused.. My floorboards are Fxcked(sadface), but the framerails underneath are pretty damn solid?  The only real rusted portion of the underside was on/right around the floorboards? I didn't think to take a pic of the rails, but I'll have them up next time I post. Excuse the terrible pics btw, I was losing daylight & had to use the flash on my phone
s30043.jpg

s30048.jpg

The Interior was DIRTY!! Bugs,spiders, dust, dirt, & OLD shit everywhere. I'm dismantling every panel the next time I get a day off & cleaning the shit out of her!
s30030.jpg

Need new seats haha
s30049.jpg

s30032.jpg

Dash was pretty good! Only 1 minor crack up top
s30046.jpg

Oh yeah, almost forgot 

The PO never told me about the louvers lol. They were sitting in the trunk when the car got here & I loosely threw them on just to see if it'd even make even kinda start to like them..

s30054.jpg

meh.. they're not bad.. but not my taste.

Daylight ran out & it was late so I called it a night

s30070.jpg

s30069.jpg

I wrote down a quick list of shit that I know will need done(no particular order, even though they're numbered)
s30076.jpg

& I also left these things I found while I was at work with the car for me to figure what to do with next time I'm there
s30077.jpg

It's gonna be a long road, but I'm happy with the car.
I have a lot planned for it & I can't wait to be at that point!
:thumbup:

Gotta work tomorrow so I'll be off here for a while!
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people buying up parts cars these days. Good for you if you can save it. 

At least someone put round tops in there lol. 

A lot of people buying up parts cars these days. Good for you if you can save it. 

At least someone put round tops in there lol. 

That's true, but you'd be surprised how ridiculously hard they are to come by up north on the east coast.

But that's the plan man. Worst comes to worst I could part it out & make back what I spent on it

You've got your hands full there ... but those cars are worth the effort - IMHO

On your list of things to do, I see you have the all important #4, #6 and #8 but you might need to insert that step into #1 in a few places.

Maybe not, it's your list and your car.  Just trying to help with my suggestions.  Great looking project!

Yes I do have my hands full haha. But I agree! This car was close to being sent to the scrap yard & IMO it was worth saving.

& hahaha awesome suggestions. Being that it's Friday, I may actually follow your advice & "prioritize" my list ^_^

Thanks!

Ya I dont know anything about s30's on east coast lol
They arent hard to find, if you do end up parting it to get your money back you can get a runner for 1500ish. Just have to hound the forums and every craigs within 300 miles on a daily basis. 

Like I said power to you if you want to save this one, I'm not ragging on you at all. It's just with the car not having a straight body panel anywhere on it, lots of rot, a salvage title, not running etc... your going to need a ton of time and money to even get to par. More then the car is worth in non sentimental value. 

If trying to get a totaled car back on the road is your project though hey enjoy and good luck to ya. 

• 2 weeks later...

i am not sure that lady will be fair to you either.

She hasn't been haha

Ya I dont know anything about s30's on east coast lol

They arent hard to find, if you do end up parting it to get your money back you can get a runner for 1500ish. Just have to hound the forums and every craigs within 300 miles on a daily basis. 

Like I said power to you if you want to save this one, I'm not ragging on you at all. It's just with the car not having a straight body panel anywhere on it, lots of rot, a salvage title, not running etc... your going to need a ton of time and money to even get to par. More then the car is worth in non sentimental value. 

If trying to get a totaled car back on the road is your project though hey enjoy and good luck to ya. 

Thank you for the input man. I'd rather someone tell me like it is than try & tell me otherwise lol

With the exception of the hatch, all the panels line up. I've gone over this thing through & through & there is a lot of rot.. but structure wise it's pretty damn solid, believe it or not. I'm aware that it's gonna need quite a lot, but I'm biting the bullet & going to try & make it work. I've already purchased a roof with the pillars attached & a few other things the car's gonna need body wise & I'm pulling the engine & tranny out this weekend to swap another engine an tranny in. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to save her.  But in the event that I can't, I know I can easily make my money back & find a cheap runner just like you mentioned.

It still confuses me because the majority of the rot was literally on the floorpans: it literally begins & ends at the floor pans. The tranny tunnel,seat rails, frame rails, & almost everywhere else underneath the car are %100 solid.

its really not that bad, I think you could find a pick and pull or something like that with a s30 there and cut the quarter of the roof out that you need, then just weld it back in there. jus tmake sure you get the whole rear pillar. shouldnt be too bad with some decent fab and a SKILLED welder. I say that cause this cant be done by just anyone, being a structural piece and all.

my datty's no so fair ethier..

maybe i need a list like that for my car...

You just gotta keep at it man. It takes a lot of persuasion but she'll come around.

You'll come to find that steps #4, #6, & #8 are a crucial necessity haha