My L20b is weird. Check it out

Naco1

Sup ya'll!?

Ok. So I had a couple of bucks in my pocket and decided to buy a new distributor(dizzy). Replaced it, got it to TDC and and buttoned everything up again. Decided to tune the carb a bit and ran into a problem. The car turns, but doesn't stay on. I got it to rev up to like 4k rpm's once but sputters/stumbles and turns off at idle. I have spark. Spark plugs properly gap'd. Timed correctly, The carb is brand new 32/36 weber. I checked the fuel pump with a fuel pressure guage and its reading 5psi. I know that's too high. But how was it running perfect before And now this? Any ideas ? Thanks in advance

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sup ya'll!?

Ok. So I had a couple of bucks in my pocket and decided to buy a new distributor(dizzy). Replaced it, got it to TDC and and buttoned everything up again. Decided to tune the carb a bit and ran into a problem. The car turns, but doesn't stay on. I got it to rev up to like 4k rpm's once but sputters/stumbles and turns off at idle. I have spark. Spark plugs properly gap'd. Timed correctly, The carb is brand new 32/36 weber. I checked the fuel pump with a fuel pressure guage and its reading 5psi. I know that's too high. But how was it running perfect before And now this? Any ideas ? Thanks in advance

That might be the issue there, or the distributor could have been bad to begin with.

• Like 1

That might be the issue there, or the distributor could have been bad to begin with.

It's a brand new distributor from parts store. Refurb I think. What fuel psi does the carb need to work properly? I think it's set way to high.

The Nissan L20B mechanical pump puts out 3 to 3.9 PSI. I don't know why you would have 5 unless you don't have a factory pump or the gauge is wrong.

Brand new Weber? as in new out of the box?

• Like 1

The Nissan L20B mechanical pump puts out 3 to 3.9 PSI. I don't know why you would have 5 unless you don't have a factory pump or the gauge is wrong.

Brand new Weber? as in new out of the box?

I haven't changed the pump and it looks pretty stock to me. Brand new weber. Like less than 500miles out of the box. I bought a new vac/pressure gauge to eliminate that as a problem. I have no return line in the carb. Just throwing that out there. I'm just stumped now

3.5 is perfect for webers. 

you set the fast idle and mixture screws, correct?

I've been tweaking with them but I'm such a dumbass when it comes running carbs. Any suggestions on how to tune them correct? Any threads about it?

Thanks again for the help guys