Do z20 parts cross-over to the z18?

gone2long

Hi guy and gals,

Thanks for the great help in the past.

Currently, I'm planning a major overhaul of my 1979.5, 720 Datsun, z18 pickup. Problem is, most of these came stock with a z20 engine, and I am having a real hard time finding any z18 parts. Wondering if z20 rebuild parts like valves, valve seals, valve springs, pistons, rings and bearings will crossover to the z18.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

G2L

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew more about the Z18 as we never got a wiff of it here. I suspect that the Z18 is similar to our L18 and would basically have a Z series NAPS head on it. I've measured our Z20E (fuel injection), Z22S (carb) and Z24 (carb) heads and they are too large a combustion chamber for the smaller Z18 motor. We did get a much smaller head for our Mileage Option Z20S (carb) motor in the 720 truck. It has a compression of 9 to one and would be perfect on a Z18. But this is just guess work on my part.

Thanks Mike (which, I suspect stands for "Mica", or some equally Asian variant). 

G2L

:rofl:

My younger brother used to call me Mic. Dad just called me mike, so mike is fine.

Mike,

Thanks again.  You're right on the Z18 being simply a crossflow version of the L18.  Trying to figure where mine actually came from originally because I bought it in the Philippines, but it was not built here.  My best guess is Japan, since the 5speed, 4x4 tranny seems to be traceable to a Japanese factory.

I am thinking that the engine may have been an after thought, swapped off a Bluebird or Stanza.  I used to own a Bluebird on Okinawa that had a z18 in it.

If I knew where the truck was actually made, that might help me find some specs for it, but good to hear a bit about the compression ratio.  That gives me a bit more to go on.

Sorry for the name confusion, and, by the way, you don't own a steel sailboat along with your cars, by any chance, do ya? 

Best regards,

G2L