510 wagon rear axle bearing removal - mklotz70

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of it......but I just watched the link in the pm you sent.  Too funny!  Mine's not as raspy, but I can hear the similarity.  I have to listen to myself for hours when I'm editing videos :(

That reminds me of 4 months ago...

And I want 200sx caliper brackets!

No you don't.  Just wait until you see what Mike had to do to get the stupid things to work.  The Dime Quarterly write up makes it sound like a bolt on swap, and it isn't even close to that.  You'd be better off just trying to convince Mike to make a run of his own caliper brackets.

280zx rear calipers would be the first I'd consider, if only for the fact that the vast majority of the front upgrades are 280zx. 

Yep....you dont' want 200sx brackets....they really are sub-parr.....like something I'd expect to find on a tractor, not a nissan.

I'm too busy at the moment, but it's a possible project in the future.  There can be some really clearance issues on cars with lowering blocks.

Been a long time since I looked at it.  I guess it depends on the position of the caliper.  Straight out the back would need blocks for the caliper to clear the springs.  If the caliper is in the 1 o'clock position, blocks will bring it too close to the chassis.   At least this is how I remember it, but I was never too concerned with discs on the rear of either of my wagons.....so I didn't research it a great deal.

200sx brackets put the calipers straight back, so you need at least 2'' lowering blocks.  The nice thing about the 200sx calipers is that in the rearward position (9:00 on the passenger side), the e-brake lever is right in line with the stock goon e-brake rods.  I'm going to get back on the road again without the e-brake hooked up, because I can't stand this '89 Ranger.  Once I'm ready to tackle the e-brake situation, it should be really easy.

I do have a press....even used it the same morning. :)   I've done it both ways and chose to do it this way because the last time I used the press to replace the axle bearings on a wgn, the press bent the heck out of the backing plate and never budged the bearing.  I knew this way would work without messing anything up.

I do have a press....even used it the same morning. :)   I've done it both ways and chose to do it this way because the last time I used the press to replace the axle bearings on a wgn, the press bent the heck out of the backing plate and never budged the bearing.  I knew this way would work without messing anything up.

I also thought about this after posting, but that assembly could be a pain to get into a press too, nothing wrong with using a air cutter, I just happen to have a press and a crappy air compressor, the air cutter idea takes me about 4x longer than it does you. man, I need a bigger air compressor.

I posted a vid on youtube a week or so ago on how to put the bearings on without a press.  Pressing them off is way more grief than pressing them back on.  Going back on is pretty easy.

My wife got me a 7hp, 60gal compressor years ago from Home Depot.  :)