Need advice, might go to the dark side.

Ha! Yep, theres a huge pile of vacuum lines on top pf the engine. Take a picture of it so you know where they go, if you ever take it apart.

As you've found out, they have issues passing emissions. They are notorious for blowing unburnt fuel out the tailpipe. The big stock exhaust manifold gets super hot, in order to ignite the unburnt fuel. So if you get headers there will be even more unburnt fuel going out the exhaust.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a question:  The electric fuel pump according to the manual is always on when ignition is hot.  I would assume you should be able to hear it then?  I just jacked up the rear end, apparently there are a ton of cover plates on it.  I can't seem to get enough fuel in to keep it going.  Been trying to start on brake cleaner, almost there with the new plugs, but not enough to start and run yet, even for a second.

PO said the last time it was running (couple years ago) it would start off gas down the carb, but wouldn't run otherwise.  Since I can't hear a fuel pump, I'd suspect that.  Also the fuel gauge and volt gauge don't work.  Most of the rest of the lights on the dash come on and seems to be fully functional.  Can't find any relays, anyone know where they're hidden?

Figured it out.  There's a fuel pump relay somewhere that isn't working.  I bypassed that and run the pump by itself.  Started it up, makes a lot of smoke and smells like shit.  Running the old gas out.  My Datsun guru said it may also be water seeping past the ports.  But at least it runs.  My clutch master is not working and no one in town.  We'll see if pull and save has any good ones I can borrow as a new one is in Seattle and I can't get that until tomorrow.

If not, I'm going back to working on getting the chumptruck D21 running.  If I can get two vehicles running today I'll be stoked!

• 1 month later...

Ah yes, I am soo happy.  The RX7 just tow-dollied off to someone else's house!  In the end, it appears I'm all Datsun.  :D  It did center me enough to realize I just needed to keep going on the 510, which was good.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I am soo happy.  The RX7 just tow-dollied off to someone else's house!  In the end, it appears I'm all Datsun.   :D  It did center me enough to realize I just needed to keep going on the 510, which was good.

This is great news! Not that the V8 RX7 wouldn't be a really cool project, but I'm really looking forward to your KA24 into the 510 build thread. You always cover all the details in your builds. Feeds my fantasy that I could do a KA someday. :P Except I'd also like to drive my 510 for awhile. Maybe time to look for a 2nd 510.

Len