Forged Pistons for an L24

JonU

I've slowly been doing some research for the next phase of my Z build (probably a year or two) and plan on doing a full rebuild of the engine. I would love to get it rebuilt by Rebello, but more than likely will end up either doing it myself or having it done locally (would prefer to do it myself). I have been trying to find some forged pistons that will more or less drop into the stock L24. I'll more than likely have the block bored and honed to make sure everything is nice and round for new pistons but I want to keep it as close as I can to stock displacement. I'll also be looking for stock length forged rods as well but I'm moving one step at a time.

From what I've found, it seems like nobody makes anything for the L24. I'm thinking I may have to get some custom pistons to do this and have sent an email to Wiseco (only site that has loaded so far tonight) and will see what they say. Does anyone know of any pistons that will work in an otherwise stock bottom end L24? If you guys need any more info to help me or have any ideas post away. I'm all ears as I try to figure something out.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats wrong with stock cast pistons? you going turbo?

silvolite listed some pistons.usa made cast http://www.kb-silvolite.com/test/silv-o-lite/spistons.php?action=Mfg4l&mfg=Nissan&Div=Nissan&l=2393

call them and ask for the nearest distributor as they dont sell to public

Repco/or ITM now made soem pistons Taiwan I think. I know I got these

rockauto.com

lots of parts still avail

Key staement:

it as close as I can to stock displacement

Arnt forge piston might be heaveier

I think your waisting you moneny on little crap like that.

cast are cheap and most will last a long time.

Weisco will take your money if you want to give it to them.

I would save the money for a triple set of carbs ,a used lighten flywheel, electronic ignition, stag 1 Daiken clutch. Cam /head work, and even then

if you want to run pump gas I say go with the silvolites or equiv.

other than that somebody else has to chime in on this one.

I'm pretty sure a forged piston is going to be heavier than a stock one.

If you're going to have custom pistons made, and custom rods it sounds like, why not run a longer rod length and a shorter piston.

Wiseco or JE would be my choice of custom pistons. They both make it stupid easy to order and they are both the highest quality. They also offer really nice low tension rings.

I gues I should expand on why I'm thinking of going to forged pistons. The end state for my engine is for it to stay as close to 2.4L as possible. I understand it'll increase when bored and honed, but not by very much. I want to shoot for a safe RPM limit of 8k. I'm not really going for huge power, but instead for a responsive engine (and I love engines that like to spin). I'm wanting the forged rods and pistons for the strength, but I was also thinking that they might save just a little weight. Then once I have all the pieces get the rotating assembly balanced. Then I could turn my attention to the top end and rebuild it for high rpm fun. I've been looking around and have my shopping list pretty much figured out minus the rods and pistons since it looks like they may need to be custom built. Unfortunately though I'm stock compiling my list for a while until I get back from deployment and see what I have left once I pick it up from the shop after getting stripped and repainted.

Not sure about the counterweight but if you get it everything balanced they can add weight to the crankshaft if needed. I'm thinking I should probably pick up a spare block to try this out with. I still have plenty of time to go other directions, it's just at the moment I'm pretty set on building an engine that can go up in the rpms. At first I was thinking a 3L stroker would be nice and I still do, but I like the idea of having an engine that loves to rev. I just figured that increasing the stroke isn't to conducive to high rpm shenanigans. Thats why I kind of went back to staying near the stock stroke.

I think your ignition willl cut out and after 1st gear it wont rev that high anyways.

Most HP is in the HEAD on L series.

Forge pistons need different specs also when boring. Looser. as they expand more than a cast piston. Well at least in the Yamaha RD 350 world. everybody went back to stock cast and didnt use the Weiscos.

If your spending a 1 grand for pistons your waising your money(Believe Me)

You want it to rev put a lower gear ratio in the back. This will be the cheapest as Z cars have a higher diff ratio what I seen.