Starting My Datsun Project, 72 4dr 510

so i just recently started fixing my datsun. 

So far all ive done is remove the doors and take off all the weather stripping and

old window squeegee felt runners and scrapped the rust off, but only of two doors.

And primer-ed them. so far so good but. but one thing that seem like it would be a big challenge

is the body work on the right side its bad. And i can find a head since the one i have is very corroded.

so i have one major problem i cant find an l16 cylinder head. =\ anyone have any

advice on where i can find one?

IMAG00271_zps15b5cba2.jpg

IMAG00341_zps54e27243.jpg

IMAG0026_BURST0021_zps34d20969.jpg

[/url]

IMAG00231_zps09227501.jpg

IMAG00301_zps82aa8262.jpg

IMAG00401_zps2ebc1e47.jpg

Damaged side

IMAG0041_BURST0011_zps2c191910.jpg

IMAG00421_zpsef90905a.jpg

IMAG00341_zps54e27243.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when it first broke down on me on the freeway I opened the hood and steam and water where coming out of the carburetor so the next day after o brought it home o took it apart looked at the underside of the head and sure enough the cooling system holes where twice the size, so o tried buying a new gasket set and tried to run it, it ram for about five minutes and the the same thing happened, so I took it off again, checked it and the head on both the bottom and intake manifold are extremely corroded so I gave up and just laid the head on top of the block. And that is why the head is on the block with the cover on it.

on a side note o made a trip to the junk yard today and scored a Neely rebuilt L20B from a 76 datsun pick up today, new timmimg chain, gas pump, rockers eater pump and dizzy. Moe all ok looking for is a five speed tranny thatl fit the l20

Ahhh... That answer that :) I wouldn't trash your old L16 head though. You can take it to a machine shop and they can weld those coolant holes completely shut. I do that on some of mine, as all those really do is help warm up the intake manifold for cold morning starts and assist the choke process for the carb. On race motors I don't run any choke, so they are useless to me. ;) it's your call though, I just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

On a side note... Did you by chance forget to put a bead of silicone around those holes on the gasket, before you installed it. I've done that before and the gasket will leak coolant almost immediately. :(

• 2 weeks later...