gas petal broke off my 1978 goon

somehow my gas petal broke off with the metal (plastic?) still screwed into it... was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if anyone has some kind of solution? i can see clean threw the hole and see pavement haha. currently i have a piece of duct tape holding it place and it worked decent all day i guess. anywhooo, anything helps. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, the plastic pedal pushes on a steel rod.  I've had a couple that the plastic pedal was long gone, but never so rusted that the floor had a hole in it where the pedal had been. 

The metal rod is placed so you can push that with your foot.  I just drove it that way until I junked the car.

But with a hole where the pedal pivot was, well, that's just going to grow.  Fixing it right would mean patching the floor, ans since you're asking I assume you aren't capable of welding sheet metal.  I know a buddy of mine just laid fiberglass down as his floors rotted away, his entire floorpans are like 2 inches of fiberglass now. 

shit haha, and you are correct. i cant weld. ill look under the car to see how bad it really is. if i remember correctly from earlier it kind just felt like plastic or rubber molding under the petal. but that makes no sense to me as to how it would be screwed in to it... i did drive it with just the metal rod though, easy enough haha. maybe ill try mount a piece of wood to it if i need to xD

The "plastic or rubber molding" that the pedal was mounted to was PART of the pedal.  It was a plastic pedal with a block on the bottom, and used the plastic as a "hinge".   It's all one piece.   And like the glove box hinge, eventually it breaks, which is what happened on mine.

On yours, the metal floor gave out before the plastic. Probably the floor got a hole worn in it from heel action, and from there it was just a matter of time.

The block on the bottom was originally screwed to the floor, and those screws rust-weld in place, which is why I never replaced the one in mine.  Couldn't get it out.