Grinding/squeaking noise coming from rear end

btdub

Please help fellow dimers. I am hearing a grinding/squealing noise in what sounds like my rear passenger wheel area. I only hear it when I take off from a stop, at low speeds occasionally, sometimes at highways speeds while cruising, and it seems to get worse when I make a hard left turn. This has led me to think that the wheel bearing might be going out but from reading I'm not sure if it could be the rear differential. My 510 has the 280zx disc conversion all around and the rear diff is a Subaru LSD connected to and s13 trans. (If it sounds like a diff problem).

Any ideas what it could be? I tried to get to the rear bearing today but the lug was too big so I couldn't take it off. I'll probably be getting the right size and trying again tomorrow. When I took the axle arm off the rotor, brake, and hub didn't have any play or resistance when I spun it. No squeaking or grinding either. Even when I was spinning the hub when it was connected to the axle there was no sign of grinding or squeaking. I'm stumped as to what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some searching and found mikes write up on u-joints. Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm headed in the right direction. Seems like a simple fix so I'm gonna head down to the parts store pick up some replacements and go from there.

Does anyone know if there's another u-joint from a different vehicle that might be more durable. The store only has one option for the 510. I'm running sr power and if it's available if rather go with safe than sorry

the reason you weren't  able to hear any squeak or grind is because your not able to apply huge amounts weight or force on the areas, 

so did you pin-point the problem? is it the u-joints, maybe the joints were dry, but at this point if you have been on the joints dry it might be time to replace them anyhow 

it still sounds like a wheel bearing to me, make sure to inspect both still, since you will be taking that area apart,

I got down under to take a good look at the u joints today. There was no play in them at all but there was grease around the joint as if it may have leaked out. I couldn't get the entire axle off because I didn't have time so I was only able to unbolt half of the axle connected to the wheel hub. Spinning the wheel unattached yielded no sound. But as was mentioned there was no load so I guess it's a shot in the dark.

I'm going to see if I can get into the joints tomorrow and grease them up see if it's just the dry joints. If that doesn't go well I'll replace the joints entirely. Any tips on taking off the axle from the diff. It was hard to get in there with the u joint rolling around. The reason i dont want to replace the joints first is cuz the ones on the car are spicers, anddd i didnt want to take it off and not be able to put it back on haha. If its not the joints and it does end up being the wheel bearing. I was reading about the process and I don't know if I have the proper means to do the job right. Some were talking about torquing the nut right and using a tool to get the bearing out. Any enlightenment would be great.

Thanks dimers!

• 9 months later...