510 getting a KADE implant!

Hi Ratsun! This is going to be my first build thread and my first swap. I thought I would share it with you all. I look forward to hearing from people. I traded my old L20 to Mytoy521  for a 95 KADE w/ harness + ecu and a nap z 5 speed. A couple days before we swapped engines, an old back injury flared up and my sciatic nerve has been pinched since... possible bulged disc. I'm feeling a lot better now 3 weeks later. Not out of the woods yet though. So I've started to slowly do little things to get ready for the swap. Before I drop the engine in I want to repaint the engine bay and front suspension parts. My plan is to sandblast it all. I want to make a plastic booth around the car where it sits with a tarp underneath. Keep it as contained as possible. Plus it gives me time to gather other parts I need and flip my X-member make a trans mount along with whatever else I'm forgetting right now. Sorry for being short I tried to make it sweet, but I'm beat, I just really wanted to get this thread up! I have pictures for everybody!!!  :thumbup:  Enjoy.

I leave you with these for now. 

20130327_181532_zps075f664a.jpg

20130417_211458_HDR_zps141debd0.jpg

20130408_175355_zps23ea22a5.jpg

DSCN0915_zps0947aeb5.jpg

DSCN0916_zpsbdcb12de.jpg

DSCN0917_zps53064700.jpg

DSCN0920_zps29365398.jpg

DSCN0923_zpsd7613b9d.jpg

DSCN0922_zps1fd43974.jpg

DSCN0921_zps4383ddda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little while sorry guys! My back is feeling a lot better compared to a few weeks ago. I've really started tearing into the 510. Doors are off to get new bushings. Both doors, back windows and trunk are getting new seals. Still have things to buy for the swap but I'll get them as I start to need them (sway bar, water pump pulley, radiator you get the idea) I got a lot done today. Pretty much got everything off the front end.  I'm going to take the X-member with me to my mom's for mothers day and no not as a gift  :rofl: I'll be seeing my sis's boyfriend tomorrow he's gonna be helping me out with the flip. In the mean time I'll be stripping paint. Was gonna sand blast it all but I'm trying to keep the budget low, and constructing a tent to contain all the sand wasn't in my budget. So I got some aircraft stripper and lacquer thinner. The aircraft stripper works great getting the bulk of the paint, It's so thick it's ridiculous! I've decided to not go all out with the paint in the engine bay right now. I just want to make it more presentable for the time being, some flat black will do the job just fine. I will be sand blasting the suspension parts, I have extra plywood and am going to make a blast box for all that stuff. It's late and I'm beat can't think of any thing else to add right now. So I'll leave you with some pictures.  

DSCN0956_zpsbdd1b5ba.jpg

DSCN0941_zps86861d2d.jpg

Did a wire tuck few months back

DSCN0942_zpsde1db5ad.jpg

DSCN0939_zpse0857f92.jpg

7325ab50-f732-4e6e-b6f0-03f52f601eb1_zps

Its bent right in the middle, not horrible but I noticed it right away I'll be doing something about this.

DSCN0946_zpsd4e91827.jpg

DSCN0945_zps595f56dd.jpg

DSCN0944_zps8b8541e8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty busy lately, Been doing what I can. I hit it hard with the sandblaster today. Got a nice little beach going on haha! Got a good bit done. Making progress which is all that matters. Gonna start hitting the pick and pulls for the alt brackets and a water pump pulley and order and egr delete. Start gettin the engine prepped on the side. Not much more to report, I've got some more pictures tho! 

IMG_0111_zpsdcdd9081.jpg

IMG_0120_zps9a84a8bf.jpg

IMG_0114_zps0b2a83f4.jpg

IMG_0117_zps3513d43a.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Been to long all. Was plagued with computer problems for a while.   

I've done quiet a bit of work in the bay. Getting ready to paint any day now! I'm going with trunk spatter black w/ grey specks, should look cool and be pretty durable. 

Since the last time I've posted anything my neighbor was telling me he has a VG30 if I wanted to buy it. So I havent been trying to hard but I am trying to sell my KA with everything. So if your interested let me know. I pulled the valve cover off and its one of the cleanest heads I've seen, Lobes on the cams look brand new. I'll post some pics of it soon. And I want to test each cylinder for piece of mind. ( I did spin through the cylinder cycles everything sounded good)

If not I'm just gonna stick with what I have, either way I'll be happy!

Here are some pics of the progress

IMG_1386edit_zpsf8609ccc.jpg

IMG_1371edit_zpsa4f0da68.jpg

IMG_1423edit_zpscccba5af.jpg

IMG_1623edit_zpsfff50cf7.jpg

IMG_1624edit_zpsf2f9b46a.jpg

IMG_1118edit_zps5be7847f.jpg

• 3 months later...

So my engine swap has turned into a light restoration! I've been sanding down the body getting ready to prime for new paint, Also have to replace two of the floor pans they aren't in to bad a shap but rather replace em now then having to tear everything apart again. 

And I have decided to keep the KA instead of trying to get the VG.

Here are a few more pictures for you all

20140107_181631_HDR1_zps53b2cd7d.jpg

20140111_0940121_zpseab1103b.jpg

20140118_193434_LLS1_zps58e3507b.jpg

20140118_193542_LLS1_zps79e2aeb2.jpg

20140118_193456_LLS1_zpse15e79ae.jpg

20140118_193312_LLS1_zps9e1e6d28.jpg

20140118_193343_LLS1_zps63c8048b.jpg

20140118_193616_LLS1_zps41419c76.jpg

• Like 1

Those floor pans don't look that bad. Are you just going to replace the one under the rear seat? I'm interested to see how this project goes, we're basically doing the same thing. I'm in the process of installing a KA and replacing floor pans in mine.

Looking good. You have fallen into the "While I am at it" Syndrome. You say, since I am doing the engine swap, While I am at it I might as well paint up the engine bay. Then While I am at it I might as well do the inside. It happens to the best of us. Hard to fight it. Ends up taking 3 times as long and costing twice as much but sometimes the building process is more fun then the finished project. Probably why so many 510s are "never Finished". 

Keep up the good work. 

BTW, one more "While I am at it"  for you. Now would be a great time to smooth out the inner fender well where the battery tray used to be. No one will ever notice that you did it but some will notice if you don't. Filling it in to match the other inner fender well is a nice touch and not that much work.

See the indent where the battery tray was in this pic?

datsun_engine_swap003.jpg

If this guy had left it, it sure would stand out. 

engine1s.jpg

That L20b eventually went into my buddys 521. That thing hauled ass!!!!!

Awesome!! Glad to hear! Got any pics!? Hope to see it someday at one of the meets!

Those floor pans don't look that bad. Are you just going to replace the one under the rear seat? I'm interested to see how this project goes, we're basically doing the same thing. I'm in the process of installing a KA and replacing floor pans in mine.

Cool! Do you have a build thread going? Would be cool to see what your working with!

Def doing the one under the rear seat, the second one is the driver floorboard right about where the Go pedal is going to mount, it has what i would descibe as Hawaii but in holes not to big yet. If I can get away with doing a small patch I'll save same $$$ and do that. 

Looking good. You have fallen into the "While I am at it" Syndrome. You say, since I am doing the engine swap, While I am at it I might as well paint up the engine bay. Then While I am at it I might as well do the inside. It happens to the best of us. Hard to fight it. Ends up taking 3 times as long and costing twice as much but sometimes the building process is more fun then the finished project. Probably why so many 510s are "never Finished". 

Keep up the good work. 

BTW, one more "While I am at it"  for you. Now would be a great time to smooth out the inner fender well where the battery tray used to be. No one will ever notice that you did it but some will notice if you don't. Filling it in to match the other inner fender well is a nice touch and not that much work.

See the indent where the battery tray was in this pic?

datsun_engine_swap003.jpg

If this guy had left it, it sure would stand out. 

engine1s.jpg

I've been thinking about it.. The bay would look much smoother!

Would you have a recommended way of flushing it out?... Heat it up and pound it out then smooth with some filler??

Awesome!! Glad to hear! Got any pics!? Hope to see it someday at one of the meets!

Cool! Do you have a build thread going? Would be cool to see what your working with!

Def doing the one under the rear seat, the second one is the driver floorboard right about where the Go pedal is going to mount, it has what i would descibe as Hawaii but in holes not to big yet. If I can get away with doing a small patch I'll save same $$$ and do that. 

Would you have a recommended way of flushing it out?... Heat it up and pound it out then smooth with some filler??

That's is how we did mine. Worked out fine. Certainly worth the extra effort.

Painted_Engine_Compartment_002.jpg

VG33%20Progress%20011.jpg.opt933x699o0,0

• Like 1

sorry but no pics. the motor was eventually pulled to again be replaced by a ka24de. i would have bought the set up from him but i just started school so money has been a little tight. the 5speed that was behind it was supper sweet though!!!!!!! i regret not buying it from him i would have but i bought a dogleg and a few weeks to late he tells me hes getting rid of the setup. it was fun chasing him while it lasted though

Haha yeah, better to fix the problem before those Hawaiian Islands turn into Australia. Here's a link to my build thread. It's been almost a year since I updated it, but I've continued to work on the car. After welding together some engine mounts, I decided to move onto rust repair, which was much more in my comfort zone. I don't get a lot of time to work on it, so I consider it a very long-term project.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53027-ranchers-helper-72-510-ka-swap/

Haha yeah, better to fix the problem before those Hawaiian Islands turn into Australia. Here's a link to my build thread. It's been almost a year since I updated it, but I've continued to work on the car. After welding together some engine mounts, I decided to move onto rust repair, which was much more in my comfort zone. I don't get a lot of time to work on it, so I consider it a very long-term project.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53027-ranchers-helper-72-510-ka-swap/

Yeah don't need an Australia hahaha

Right on dude thats cool. I looked over your thread, coming along nice! 

Wish I had a welder to tackle more of the projects myself, but gives me a break and I can watch my buddy do some work lol 

• 5 years later...

Been a long time... life came up and took a big chunk out of my ass, but also brought some amazing change with it, for one became the father of a beautiful little girl 😁 

I’m still here and have been slowly working on the 510 and it’s close to hitting the road. If you’re still following after all this time, cool and I’ve got some pics and things to share. Stay tuned 

https://imgur.com/a/mCPoqc2

• Like 1

Been working on finishing up the wiring this last week. At first I only had power to the run relay on the can/am box. Got that situated.. but I don’t have spark. So currently working on that. Any suggestions or ideas?? 

Its a ka24de from a 95 240sx and the ecu is from a 98 

i have it wired as 

Run-

Ground- Ground 

3- empty 

2- pin 38 switched power B/R

1- pin 101 iad- aac solenoid 

key power old coil wire 

ECCS- 

EccLss- pin 4 R/B 

3- empty 

2- fuel pump signal to IACV - this goes from can/am into the harness, should it go from ecu to the can/am? 

1-  pin 56/61 B/W 

EcuBup- pin 70/113 R 

Fp- 

FpLss- pin 8 B/P 

4- empty 

3- empty 

2- empty 

1- fuel pump 

https://imgur.com/gallery/x1w3B5S

.... So after some probing I found that the pin 38 B/R wire that gives the can am it’s switched power also gives my distributor power... Thought I had a firm grasp on this... am I missing something? 

Edited by scapooch