Brake issues

jpturner2008

I have a 1980 720 4wd that I just put new brakes on all around.  My issues is that my rear brakes smoke and the fluid does not stay full in the cylinder. My front is fine and stay's full.  Also my parking brake does not tighten enough to stop and we had it until we could not move the truck while driving. Found a thread talking about the nlsv and was wondering if anyone has any suggestion to make everything normal. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fluid doesn't stay full? Strange. Check for leaks at the master, NSLV valve, and your rear cylinders.   Did you replace the springs on the drum brakes? (also did you install them correctly?)

I think the 80 doesn't have the auto adjusters.  Did you adjust them in to compensate for the new thickness of the shoes?  Were the hubs able to spin back and forth freely after you put them on?

That fluid went somewhere so take the rear tires off and look around for wetness. Could be spraying onto the hot exhaust pipe? Wet shoes will not hold with the parking brake on.

I think the 80 doesn't have the auto adjusters.

Added half way through the '82 model year

replaced new wheel cylinders on the rear and it doesn't appear to leak anywhere around them have to check the nlsv valves.  the adjusters were frozen and I took them off and lubricated them until the became unfroze.  Still can't find leaks but do you think that the brakes lines were so dry that they just keep sucking the fluide down until there full.  It never had a rear brake job since my dad bought it new in 79. 

If a new problem arises think back to the last thing you did.... all four brakes, rear wheel cylinders.

If the master won't stay full it has to be going somewhere!!!!

Look for wet spots where it was parked. Look at the insides of the rear wheels... may see a wet spray pattern on the rubber. This is the wheel cylinders leaking and dripping out of the drum and onto the spinning tires.

E brake not working suggests wet brake shoes.

going have to put cardboard down because my drive way has grass where it is parked. Before I replaced the brakes the ebrake was tight but when adjusting it now it smokes if it is too tights.  Do you think the drums need to be replaced as well.  Also the springs looked good so I did not replace the hardware to the drums.  How can you bleed the nlsv, is the bleeder on the bottom have not quite looked at them.  Just seen one on back and don't know exactly where they are all at.

Need to fix where the fluid is going first. The NLSV will need bleeding later as the master did go dry and air is in the system.

Smoke may be the shoes heating up and burning off the brake fluid. Pull the drums off and look. Don't wait for the cardboard. Look at the inside of the tires for wetness.

Here is the issue, my 1980 datsun 720 4x4 was my dad's.  He bought it brand new in 79 and gave it to me in february.  It needs a good paint job which i am thinking about rattle can because it will cost about 3000 dollars to have it done professionally.  He kept up with oil, spark plugs and radiator fluids.  It is a 5 speed and he said he doesnt think it takes transmission fluid.  I pretty sure it does and can someone tell me if that is correct.  The front brakes he had replaced years ago.  It has sat in our garage for about 15 or so years.  It has 94,000 miles on it.  My issues is the rear brakes.  Can't find a leak and master rear does not stay full.  Any answers on what the hell is going on