Datsuns Dollars Dimes a 510 Story

Averaje

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Whatsup buddy its looking good man. Seems like Ur doing all the right things w the bushings n gaskets sets n everything. I'm glad to see Ur showing her plenty of love. N like I said about the idle, it does have the ported peanut head w a much bigger cam so keep that in mind. She sounds amazing w dual carbs ;) .... Keep me posted though n lmk about the z cus I might have to junk her here soon

i got her parked in the garage now, it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, ahaha....and yeah man im down any day to cruise with any of you guys. Im trying to cruise this weekend, formula drift is going on right down the street and i love the cars that are down there this time of year. and btw where did you send your engine ?

Damn sorry I never got back to u, my 510 still isn't running :-(... I was making some decent progress when I got my engine back but had a couple set backs than being tired after work I didn't really get a chance to work on it for the last couple weeks, I'm going to the east coast for week so after I get back I'll get the motor in and running... Hopefully I'll have it on the road and daily'ing it before the end of the month, I will definitely hit u up than dude...

I took the motor to hi-tek engines in Gardena, friend of mine had his Chevy 6cylinder rebuilt there and was recommended to them by another engine builder... They took longer with my engine but that was because I had to find pistons and exchange some other parts, but besides that I was happy... The price was really reasonable too...

-Rob

Welp, sorry guys for the wait, but it took a while to get my t/c rods but they came last week and they are on now, i ended up getting the Techno Toy's  and it feels a lot better. Also the bushings made a huge difference, now next on my list is a lower ball joint for my right side, it has tiny bit of play but a horrible rattling sound while driving i guess its because of the new rods, so i ordered that today from (RockAuto) #awesome...and me and my friend will do that hopefully this weekend, and im praying i make it to work safely with my car in this condition =_= so my fingers are crossed. Anyways im planning on doing the front suspension then maybe some rear stuff and after that im heading towards engine work. I want here to RAWR down PCH. and here are a few pictures of the rods and us at the bumwash.

WP_20130430_003_zps0b3a0f9d.jpg

WP_20130501_001_zpsb0189ccd.jpg

WP_20130501_002_zpsd1334a62.jpg

WP_20130506_030_zps88a1ebe6.jpg

WP_20130506_031_zpsbcd2c353.jpg

WP_20130506_036_zps3a463d8c.jpg

WP_20130506_042_zps7629efd8.jpg

Whatsup buddy its looking good man. Seems like Ur doing all the right things w the bushings n gaskets sets n everything. I'm glad to see Ur showing her plenty of love. N like I said about the idle, it does have the ported peanut head w a much bigger cam so keep that in mind. She sounds amazing w dual carbs ;) .... Keep me posted though n lmk about the z cus I might have to junk her here soon

yeah man im in love, lol...and yeap i remember what you told me. and after the engine is right those carbs will go on. for sure. As for the ZX, go ahead and junk the thing, my friend isnt going to come anytime soon. so feel free. 

Damn sorry I never got back to u, my 510 still isn't running :-(... I was making some decent progress when I got my engine back but had a couple set backs than being tired after work I didn't really get a chance to work on it for the last couple weeks, I'm going to the east coast for week so after I get back I'll get the motor in and running... Hopefully I'll have it on the road and daily'ing it before the end of the month, I will definitely hit u up than dude...

I took the motor to hi-tek engines in Gardena, friend of mine had his Chevy 6cylinder rebuilt there and was recommended to them by another engine builder... They took longer with my engine but that was because I had to find pistons and exchange some other parts, but besides that I was happy... The price was really reasonable too...

-Rob

its all good man, im kinda in the same boat, but yeah bro, get it done. Summer is almost here and Pacific Coast Highway is calling us. 

but cool, ill drop by the shop to check it out. thanks. 

Just curious how old are the lower control arm bushes and well as the bushings in the idler arm? Something to check.

well i just replaced the lower control arm bushings as for the idler arm, im not sure,  ill check it out fore sure. Thanks alot.

• 4 weeks later...

So its been a minute and me being lazy, but for now, here is what i got and whats about to happen. i recently met the coolest guy in the world "Freddy" a.k.a. "510 Guru" hes been a huge help with helping me with my car and turning her into a beastly daily driver. Hes been int0 510 for more than 20 years, and owned/built/raced quite a few lol...and the best part is, he lives right around the corner. Datsun guys are everywhere, Awesome teacher by the way for someone who has little experience with cars and 510s. but im picking it up :) So right now were tackling the steering and suspension, i have the following ready to be installed 

-Tie Rod Setup

-Drag link (Ermish)

-Ball Joints

Now im getting my front coilovers rebuilt, going to add bump steer spacers this weekend, after that im going to get a basic engine rebuild to the L18 and get dual carbs ( anybody selling ) after that i plan on getting t3 rear coilovers and a rear sway bar and after that im gunning for the interior and wiring :(. wish me luck i plan on having her ready by August for a PCH drive to Santa Barbara...wish be luck  and i would love some feedback.

WP_20130604_007_zpse134675a.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry its been so long, shesh....Ive been busy and stressed out a bit but here is a catch up on things. My coilovers got a make-over, and got my L18 rebuilt, new alternator and voltage regulator. Now im in a bit of a pickle, I really want to tackle the interior (carpet, seats, headliner, stereo, etc... but I also want to get the body work done and painted, I was wondering does the inside of the car need to get painted or can i do it at different times or should i do it all at once,   I understand that alot of people went through this process already and some advice could help alot. 

pics on changes so far.

V__F35B_zps47aaf4ae.jpg

V__409C_zpsd6ae922a.jpg

V__4513_zpsd3dbe4aa.jpg

V__38CA_zps2158c488.jpg

V__A85C_zps1279aa32.jpg

WP_20130714_022_zpsfa7baa93.jpg

Shout out to John for the rebuild picking it up tomorrow, i dont know if you guys know him but some guy off instagram knew him from his car that I posted, maybe some of you may know him (SR powered)

WP_20130729_002_zpsd4333af9.jpg