Transmission Crossmember

'70dime

This is my first thread post, so bear with me. I have a '70 510 L20b with what i thought was a 280zx 5 speed. I recently pulled the transmission with the intentions of replacing it because the 1st and 2nd gear synchro's had gone bad. It turns out that I have a close ratio roadster 5-speed with a l-series bellhousing. I decided I would keep the roadster trans a get a replacement until I can afford to rebuild the 5-speed. So a picked up a '73 z 4-speed 'cause I was told it would bolt in, it doesn't.

so my question is should I put the roadster trans back in it and deal with the grinding, or should I build a new crossmember, get the drive shaft shortened, and make the shifter hole bigger for the 4-speed to get it back on the road?

cause its gonna be a while before I can afford to rebuild the roadster trans....

Signed, broke college student with a Datsun addiction, Pierce Jones

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say just rebuild the roadster tranny, and not modify anything. Your time is worth money. Dont cut your car up if you dont have to. Remember you will have to fix the driveline and mount when you do put the roadster tranny back in later if you do swap. I would fork out the cash to have it rebuilt, and if you can deal with the tranny and save up that would be the way I would do it. Your also going to a 4 speed.....Gay.....try to at least find a 5 speed if your going to cut stuff up. My thoughts!!