cooling issues

riot936

Ok truck was running a lil hot and I took the t stat out to see if that was the open. To no avail its something else.

Truck has,

-good rad

-good hoses

-t-stat removed

-pulled cap while running and water is flowing

-water pump not dripping

-TURNED ON HEATER AND NO HEAT although engine did run a lil cooler when I did.

-all hoses hooked up corectly

-not "boiling over" or classic hissing or strong coolant smell

-oil not milky and no water in cylinders.

I have no clue whay else to check. Ive owned this truck a month now and havent even taken 10 miles from my house.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is on the highway? stop and go and idling? both?

Your gauge is lyin' to ya. I assume you have the stock gauge and not some.... 'thing' bought in a store. I findthat I run about 1/3 the way up the normal scale and never reaches half..

Warm it up and watch the lower rad hose while you rev it up to 3K. The bottom (suction side) might collapse and restrict flow on the highway.

Retarded timing will also allow more heat out the exhaust port and it will be absorbed by the cooling system. It should be about 3 degrees BTDC.

Carb running lean will also run hotter than normal. Pull some plugs and inspect them. If the porcelain tip is bright white this is likely the cause. It should be a light tan.

Ok so hose isnt collapaing, but i did order a prebent hose instead of a universal one to put on just for peace of mind. Just talked to the previous owner and he said he but im a radiator right before I got it. Could it be possible that he put the fan on backwards?

No but if it was a used junkyard rad it could be plugged or part plugged. Take cap off and drain slightly so you can see the vertical tubes. Do they have any scale on them??? If so it could have chunks caught down inside restricting flow.. I would remove, put the cap back on facing up. Fill with CLR to dissolve any hard water scale overnight and rinse out in the morning.

Well I didn't expect it to cost that much... sorry. I guess we are all assuming that the gauge is right when really it's within it's run range, even if it does read a little higher than we're used to. Before spending more on it, get an infra red gun and shoot the thermostat housing. If it 180/190 it's fine and just a high reading.

No worries man. I thouhht it would work too. I snag a snake camera from work and looked all insode that radiator and its pretty damn nasty in the some passages are almost clogged. I didnt think it was that bad by just looking down the neck. Its only $60 to habe it boiled and rodded so im dropping it off tomorrow. 60+30=$90 which if it wprks will save me over $100 on a new rad.