Driveline Shortening

SupDoc

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The IRS is very firmly mounted to the rear and really does not move very much, if at all. Are you running a KA 71C transmission? OR a Z series NAPS engine 71B transmission??

The 510 4 speed is 26" long and the driveshaft is 42.5625" long. All you should have to do is measure the length of the KA transmission subtract 26" and this is how much has to be removed from the drive shaft.

To get an accurate transmission length stand it up on a couple of 2x4s. Place a flat straight edge horizontally across the end of the tailshaft where the drive shaft would go in. (if it has a metal dust shield remove it) Measure down from the straight edge VERTICALLY to the front of the bell where it bolts to the engine. This avoids a longer (and inaccurate) slope distance.

Thanks for the quick response datzenmike.  That definitely answers my question. You know, I actually don't know which model transmission it is.  I should probably find out for future reference.  The PO told me both the engine (KA24DE) and the transmission had come out of a 240SX.  The engine, transmission, and driveline were already in the car when I bought it.  That's as far as the PO had gotten with project.  The tranny Xmember had not even been installed yet.  Well, to my dismay, after bolting up the tranny Xmember, it has become apparant that the driveline is about a half-inch to an inch too long.  PO told me he had already gotten the driveline shortened.  He obviously measured incorrectly.  I guess it could have been worse, it could have been too short.  Then I'd have to buy a whole new driveshaft.  

Tranny in. Hmmm, well from the center line of the input on the mainshaft to the bottom of the bellhousing at the motor end is 7". So if you put a straight edge against the transmission tail and measure down 7"... then clip your tape measure on the bottom of the bellhousing and measure back to that point on the straight edge you should be parallel and get a good length measurement. I'm guessing around 35" for an S13/14 transmission?