Running rich, poor mpg, fuel pressure regulator

PineClone

A CLUE???

I contacted the previous owner to get some info about the weber he installed. He said he bought the carb brand new. I asked him a few follow-up questions and he said that he "tuned the carb to get it running well"...and that he "ordered jets but returned them because it was running so well".

So that makes me think the issue might be the jetting. 

Thoughts on this??...and if so, what is the process for re-jetting it?

And once again, THANKS!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to close the loop (at least partially) on my gas mileage issue. I replaced the vacuum advance and that made a noticeable difference in performance and mpg. Basically doubled the gas mileage up to 22 mpg. So there is still work to do...Next step is to check the jetting on the weber. 

One thing i'm struggling with is the idle adjustment. When i go through the steps for tuning the carb, i start by backing off the idle adjustment so that it is not touching. Then go through the process of adjusting the idle mixture screw. When i turn it in, the car begins running rough (as it should). Then I back it off slightly until it runs smooth. However, at this point the idle remains quite high. So there is no need to adjust the fast idle screw at all because that will only make the RPMs higher.

Anyway, this will all need to wait...as i currently have the B210 up on blocks to swap in a 5 speed.

Thanks to all for the help.

Your Weber is a good carb and just needs setting up. Your Primary idle jet should be a .55 as a starting point, you can check it in 2 mins. Here is a link for tuning it. http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm  your fuel pressure should not be over 2.5 to 3 psi. I would start by pulling the spark plugs and looking at the color, should be light brown. white is lean, black is rich.

Also check your timing with the vacuum advance hooked up, at high RPMs some Weber 32/36 vacuum port will hold vacuum all the way to top end without backing off.(meaning mechanical and vacuum are both advanced at the same time at top end) If this is happening your total end timing will be way to high (should not be over 34)  you can burn a piston. I have been run a Weber on my A14 for 30 years and it has been great. Here is a list if the jets in my A14 (should be a good starting place)

DSCN3329-M.jpg

Primary main jet 140

Secondary main jet 135  

Primary air corrector jet 165  

Secondary air corrector jet 160  

Primary idle jet .55

Secondary idle jet 50

Primary emulsion tube F50

Secondary emulsion tube F6

• Like 2

Anyway, this will all need to wait...as i currently have the B210 up on blocks to swap in a 5 speed.

Does this mean you are not going to be ready for Canby?   If we were not so busy at work I'd come help ya this weekend.

The marks are on the timing cover and there is a groove on the pulley.

DSCN3305-M.jpg

Should have been more clear. The marks are obvious. There is not a groove on the pulley that we can find. But it must be there....will look harder.