WTB: Naps distributor or ignition control module

I need an 8 plug distributor or ignition module from a Z24 or Z22 engine from 1982 through 1984 nissan pickup.

I tarped up my wagon and parked her for the worst of the rain, and while everything stayed dry, the distributor apperantly had some condensation in it. Every time I untarped it and hooked up the battery to let her run, she had no problems, and I did not notice any issues until I went to drive her. I cleaned the distributor up, but every so often the ignition module is glitching out.  Hopefully someone has a used nissan part lying around so I don't have to buy some overpriced chinese knock off.

I would prefer someone local to the oregon area, I don't have the time off work to travel far or deal with shipping concerns.

Shoot me a PM if you have something!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a high voltage spark. It will try to find the shortest path to ground. The NAPS dizzy cap is small and there are 9 plug wires stuffed on it and the rotor is actuall two rotors in one. A cap in poor shape won't take much for the spark to jump to another wire. Then there's the plug wires. They may be old. I wipe mine down with a WD-40 soaked rad to get all the grease and crap off. You have to have good electrical components so that the easiest path to ground is across the spark plug gap.

Often a motor will idle with plug wires mixed but act up underload.

new cap and rotor as of when I parked it, tried swapping spares in when I cleaned up the inside of the dizzy.

Distributor signal is dropping to the coils intermittently, even though I have constant power to the dizzy and coils...somewhere in the module it is cutting out....at least I think it is. I have test equipment hooked up, and no voltages are dropping, but even though everything has power, the ICM stops sending a signal to the coils and I loose spark. Normally that is hallmark for an ICM failure.

This is an EI distributor for a NAPS Z series motor. The matchbox is not the same.

What vechs did the match box dizzy come in stock?

Find the SEARCH button. Type in matchbox dizzy years hit search.

new cap and rotor as of when I parked it, tried swapping spares in when I cleaned up the inside of the dizzy.

Distributor signal is dropping to the coils intermittently, even though I have constant power to the dizzy and coils...somewhere in the module it is cutting out....at least I think it is. I have test equipment hooked up, and no voltages are dropping, but even though everything has power, the ICM stops sending a signal to the coils and I loose spark. Normally that is hallmark for an ICM failure.

Use a hair drier to dry out the cap/rotor and wires.

What test equipment shows the no signal to the coils? Check the plugs on the module.

4wireNAPS.jpg

720distributor009Large.jpg

Run a separate ground wire to the dizzy case..

Thanks for the tips mike! I had already dried out the dizzy and cleaned all my contacts, but I have not run a seperate ground yet. I will try that...it doesn't look like anyone local has a module, but I did get a PM from someone that is willing to ship a used one if the ground idea doesn't work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.