Stiff Ride Help.

720_KID

My truck seems to have a very stiff ride everywhere i go. It literally bounces all over the place even on the smallest bumps, i have to go below 10 mph over speed bumps so i wont hit my head on the roof. I did turn the torsion bars 3/4 inch, but even before i did that it was still a stiff ride. I got new shocks in the back and new bushings on the front suspension. Any suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run the tires at the lowest safe recommended pressure. This will allow them to flex more. Do NOT run lower than recommended and not for long periods on the highway.  Replace the front shocks too. You don't say if you have oversize tires.

'Stiff' and 'bouncing all over the place' is relative. To others it may be completely normal if you are not used to it. It's a 4x4 and purpose built to handle off road conditions.

The fact of the matter is our 720s are old 4x4s, and will never ride very nicely. I've learned to enjoy it... it helps me feel connected to the road and makes every trip an adventure

Check your front suspension travel. I was experiencing an extremely rough ride and noticed that my suspension had sagged to the point that my front wheels had no upward travel. I re-indexed my torsion bars and that helped, but it's still no cadillac. Also, the rear end is so light that unless you have a load, the springs don't flex much.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the stock seats are very bouncy. It's pretty common for my passengers to hit the ceiling going over big bumps offroad. I stay put just fine since I have an aftermarket seat.

Once I installed the Rodeo seats in my truck, life was much, much better. Bouncy, yes, but it helps a lot. 

I haven't done the torsion bars and front suspension yet. Going to wait until I do the rest of the suspension. 

Good luck!

The fact of the matter is our 720s are old 4x4s, and will never ride very nicely. I've learned to enjoy it... it helps me feel connected to the road and makes every trip an adventure

Check your front suspension travel. I was experiencing an extremely rough ride and noticed that my suspension had sagged to the point that my front wheels had no upward travel. I re-indexed my torsion bars and that helped, but it's still no cadillac. Also, the rear end is so light that unless you have a load, the springs don't flex much.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the stock seats are very bouncy. It's pretty common for my passengers to hit the ceiling going over big bumps offroad. I stay put just fine since I have an aftermarket seat.

I agree with the above..... its a truck!!!!!!! This is what it is and does, what it was designed for. Lowering just makes everything worse. This is what it wasn't designed for. In order to have ANY ride there has to be SOME suspension travel to absorb road bumps.