620 homemade Ignition switch removal/installation tool

Steroid

For years I have removed stubborn ignition switches using two finishing nails and a Channel Lock sheetmetal bending tool:

23-500x500_zps2dc88a37.jpg

Naturally the nails would shift and fight Me but usually I could get the Nissan retainer ring to break free or snug to secure the ignition.

Yesterday I decided to finally make My own tool based on the nail design. What I did was to measure across a 1" piece of square tubing and My guess was pretty close!! The distance across from corner to corner was a tiny bit off of the 1" holes in the Nissan retainer ring. I cut a piece of the square tubing 1 1/8" long and then rounded up two 1 1/2" long roofing nails. I used roofing nails due to the much larger flat heads over conventional nails. I then took a piece of 7/8" OD (outside diameter) rod and cut it 1 1/8" long. I then simply installed the rod inside the square stock, hammered the roofing nails in each corner and took electrical tape to secure it all in place:

P1010466_zps3434e001.jpg

P1010456_zps6fcb7eab.jpg

I made a few passes over the nails with the electrical tape and then around the whole "tool" and there was NO movement ! I then tested it in the ignition ring and it was very close, but I still tweeked one of the nails for a snugger fit:

P1010476_zps99baa43b.jpg

P1010478_zpscb53dcf4.jpg

P1010488_zps55fbb02b.jpg

P1010469_zps2a088629.jpg

This tool literally cost Me nothing to build ! !  My frustration is over ! !  Here is a cheap, effective tool You all can build to save time, scratches on Your retainer ring and grief ! ! !  

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And You will slip and scratch Your retainer ring, possibly the metal key indicator plate as well .

Yeah, and I'll stab my fingers on the nails, not to mention my leg when I have it in my pocket and ripping my pants!!

but good idea. I use my leatherman needle nose.