Garage Find: 1978 Datsun B210 resto project

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hey sorry to once again add another post to this but just thought I'd drop a little bit of an update. Just ordered some fender mirrors and I'm looking into getting an Mk1 Golf duckbill. At this point in time I'm also getting ready to get an L20b with a 4 speed standard transmission ready for the swap. So far I've got a Janspeed header, single Weber 42 DCOE 8 carb, and a w58 head with the peanut combustion chambers. However, this head being a smog head, it's got a steel liner in the exhaust ports and I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten those out without destroying the ports and whatnot. Also planning on lowering the front end ~2" and doing some suspension work so I can get the handling to beyond that of a shopping cart. I was thinking I'd cut the springs and do the split collar coil overs while adding some motorcycle fork oil to the shocks to improve dampening rate. However, when it comes to the back I'm not too sure how to increase the stiffness of the leafs. I don't really want to lower it a ton in the back because its already riding pretty low in the rear. So yeah, these are the things I'm dealing with at the moment, just thought I'd share my vision with you folks! Thanks for your time!

• 2 months later...

Alrighty! I just picket myself up an Eaton M62 for free off a fellow student in compensation for doing a bunch of homework for him. Pretty good deal I'd say. Anyways, now that I've got this s/c, I plan on slapping it onto my L20B that I picked up that is currently at BrazierRacing in Winnipeg getting rebuilt and whatnot. I plan on running a draw through supercharger set up through my Weber 42 DCOE 8. As far as the whole supercharging an L20B goes, I've done a bit of searching and believe its doable but I'm not too too sure how. Any help from you experienced folks would indeed be most heartily welcomed. Thanks for reading!

Between the 610, 710, and the 510-I know one didn't fit. 

And it was the one I thought would. 

I'll have to see if I can find the thread. 

Well, keep at it. 

That paint is money!

I have a 210 I will be putting an L18 in to soon. 

An L20B in a B210 should be a real screamer. Start stashing rear ends now!

• Like 1

610 is a perfect fit (B210s use the 610 front suspension setup) 510s fit but without 510 LCAs you have to do a lot to have it aligned properly, and I'm not sure about the 710. Wish I could be of more help but I figured I would share what I have. I was looking at a possible KA or L20 swap into my B210 and got this information between datsunfreak here on ratsun and the datsun1200 wiki.

Good luck with your build. Should be a screamer :)

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help! Yeah I'm definitely excited to get this engine in there! I am getting a parts car 710 sedan that will have all the suspension components so if it is a situation like the 510 I'll have everything I need to get it in there and go. The only thing I'm nervous about us the brake slave and master cylinders. Has anyone had any problems with those being in the way in this swap?

You should be fine with the single weber, and if youare going straight to using the draw thru setup you won't have to worry at all. The problem with fitment comes from using dual DCOEs or SUs in a NA or blow thru setup. The dual carbs hit the master when using a dual carb manifold, so you have to remove the brake booster and mount the master to the fire wall.

Draw through setups are generally compact because you don't want to route fuel filled air any further than you have to. Some people even use the stock intake manifold for the down draft and just route the charge to the original carb mount. This probably isn't the most effective solution, but it works for budget builds.

That is very good news! Definitely eliminates a little worrying in my part! Thanks a lot! So now pretty much my only other concern is fitting the behemoth under the hood. It's pretty large with a long snout and has a throttle body and blow off valve that add more length. Here's a link to a pic if you're interested in what it looks like.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/markkublick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6b9e46f7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I did plan on routing the charge through either the stock manifold or make something for the Warnerford manifold I've got for the Weber.

Here's another picture of the supercharger next to an L20B valve cover for a sense of scale

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/markkublick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5d627903.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=136191140&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Sorry that I'm just posting links I'm doing this off my phone and can't figure out posting pics

That charger is pretty long. The outlet is at the rear? Could make for some very interesting routing. What if you were to swap the long snout with something aftermarket like this:

https://jonbondperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_15_123&products_id=565&zenid=dmlsja7bnqcb8ik9dsblgiqck1

It might make routing easier and you could choose whichever pulley you want to change your boost level. Just a thought.

Oh yeah for sure! That would make this project a lot easier! I'll definitely have to look into that. But yeah with the rear intlet I'm thinking I'll have to make a big curved tube that will bring it over the charger. Getting rid of the extra length there is definitely desirable.

Is the rear inlet made into the casting or can it be replaced as well as the pulley snout? I tried looking over this information but it seems the the M62 and M45 get mixed up a lot and that they both have quite a few different castings. For instance, one of the Mercedes M62 castings uses a short pulley snout setup like the one I posted. To save money, you could probably snatch that from a PnP rather than buying aftermarket. However, I have no idea which mercedes uses which casting or the M45 vs the M62.

I'm really interested in this build though and will continue searching for info. I've been wanting to supercharge my 620 for a long time but 90% of the SC14s I find are so worn out that it hasn't been worth it. Another member on here used a mercedes kompressor with the electronic clutch, but I can't remember which build it was. If I find anything helpful I'll send it your way.

• 4 months later...