Vespa Racers...

From experience, skip the Ruckus and get a Zuma. Honda Ruckus is just a stripped down ripoff of the Yamaha Zuma. No fairings to keep the wind, dirt, and bugs out and no trunk to lock your goods in. Wouldn't suggest it for an old lady. Also I've seen that there were a few bad batches of Ruckus that had some problems and the parts are not cheap. The suspension wears out prematurely and the brakes are not up to par, especially for heavier riders. But hey, they look cool. If she was to get a Honda I'd recommend and Elite. I can also say I've seen Elite 4 stroke 80cc bikes older than me with 20k miles. Definitely a better bike than a Ruckus for just getting around. And like rally said, don't buy a chinese bike. They are dangerous and rarely go over 1000 miles without a carb or clutch replacement. In fact I feel that they should be banned from importation or at least have to pass some sort of testing before they can be sold. 

I have experience with lots of scoots but I may be a bit biased towards Zumas because I daily drove one for 9800 miles. I never replaced anything but the rollers and back tire. @Rally I ran a 70cc jug and all the other mods with the oil injection and ran 11k rpm for 2 years without an oil problem. I eventually broke a ring pushing it to it's limits. If you get a 2 stroke Zuma they NEED to be rebuilt around 7500 miles. Also, the Zumas do very well offroad. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My votes are for the Honda elite and the Yamaha C3. I've owned an elite and they are great little scoots. And u can find a used one for under 1k. I've never ridden the C3 but for a 62 yr old lady it sounds perfect. 50cc, fuel injected and tons of storage.

Zuma 125 is cool and even though I like yamaha engines and know they are reliable I still gotta say get a metro or ruckus for the incase she doesn't like it resale value. Ruckus is a fad but I was able to haul all sorts of stuff with the frame open like that. They have fenders (which work great may I add) having the fenders off is another story mine slings oil all up your back now that it's stretched and crazy. Definitely a money dump but still fun and breaks necks when you drive it. The 2t zuma is great because of it's simple design working on it is nice and a set of rings is a quick job anyway. Any Honda four stroke is legendary. They will run all day underwater with chocolate pudding for oil I shit you not. Lol

Top gear tried to kill a Honda cub and the video is on YouTube. I can say firsthand I have done far worse stress to a CT engine than they could throw at it lol. I had a mini trail 50 that over heated multiple times until it couldn't run and after a minute to cool down it fired up first kick like new as always. Still daily driving today and the oil is pure tar never been changed looking. I have also seen a video of a ct70 in Australia fall and roll hundreds of feet into a rock pit then fire up first kick. Bike was completely mangled but fixed with nothing but a hammer and other crude blunt force tools and still runs and drives after it all.

My ct90 can cross rivers with the engine spark plug and all completely submerged and the water level almost if you say Jesus backwards it sounds like sausage