Temperature gauge sensor for 210 question

I've gotten a new temp sensor and nut from Nissan for my 1981 210. The sensor is the same for the 210 and the 510. Problem is the nut is not available for the 210 so my Nissan contact got me the one for the 510. He thinks it should work and I'm hoping he's right (and so is he) but I wondered if there was anyone out there that new for certain. The part numbers are different but sometimes that could just be a design difference (at least I'm hoping). I didn't want to remove the old one cause he was telling me the story of his 510 and how he replaced the sensor and tried to save the nut but it eventually just broke. Now I'm afraid to even bother touching the thing. This one is about 1/2" in diameter. Naturally I won't know the size of the old one until it's removed but again I'm a little nervous about that. Anyone out there can give some insight if the nut might be a different size between the 210 and 510? Thanks in advance!

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0658.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it will but my concern was it holding up after all these years. Like my parts guy at Nissan said his busted over time after replacing his sensor. I did some researching online last night and came across a link to another forum where some guy with a 510 was asking about that particular nut with the 210 part number. He was told that it was correct so I want to assume this 510 nut will work. If not, I actually found a forklift company in PA that has it in stock. Just called them this morning. Sweeeet! Think I'm good.

That style temperature sensor is common across the Datsun line. The only difference is that the 411 uses SAE threads and the 510 and on use metric threads. Your 1981 car is metric so you should have no problem. As insurance gently remove the current collar and match up the threads with the one in the package. On the very slight chance that they don't match, reuse the old collar.

Thanks for the info. I'm just leery when I'm told anything from another model will work with my 210 cause it's so darn special. I've only found a couple things that work and they're cosmetic. I'll be checking the nut out but at least I found a place that has my part number if this 510 nut won't work. Honestly I'd prefer to replace the sensor and nut to new parts. I'm doing the same with my fuel sending unit. Already received the o-ring. Just waiting on the unit to arrive.