My New Toy: Possible Build Thread

Kirden

Alright, this week flat out sucked. My new schedule has me working Fri-Mon with Tues-Thurs off. Sounds good right? Until the sky decides to piss ice cicles at you for three days straight... On a good note, I got my refund for the fubared order from summit, my state and federal refunds, and my bi-weekly check. Big pimpin yo B)

So, all that said and done, ordered my nismo head gasket, 2.3 duratec pistons (shit, that was a secret...) rings, arp studs (rod and head), got an oil pan for the L20, and a weber for the B210. Gotta order my KA oil pump and tear down the block to have everything measured before I get the bearings.

Most of the large parts have been purchased, but I still need freeze plugs, a crank pulley, timing kit, bearings, gaskets, assembly lube, head dowels, and probably other shit I'm forgetting/don't know about just to finish the bottom end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To combat "pics or it didn't happen"

Ford/Mazda Duratec 2.3l pistons

IMG_20140223_193514_zpsa0d926f0.jpg

you can see the shitty replacement radiator in that pic as well...

Shitty cave pic of some goodies... Very poor light in my living room

IMG_20140223_193630_zps8485a632.jpg

Rings, rod bolts, head studs rods

6" Rods

IMG_20140223_193656_zps799232a3.jpg

Also have the crank but it's still packed up waiting for the trip to the machinist.

Piston specs are:

87.5mm bore size

28.25mm Pin height

1.2 ,1.2 ,3.0mm ring gaps

-15cc dish, no valve reliefs

hypereutetic cast aluminum

$90 for the set!  :thumbup:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h895cp/overview/make/ford

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

She lives! It's dark as shit outside so no pics, but here's the story:

I was walking from the store and my grandma and uncle stopped by. He asked if he could put up his tent and stay at my place for a few days. This guy is a certified mechanic from the oldschool days. 30 minutes and we have the electronic ignition (thanks Eagle Adam) on and the carb tuned. Runs like a dream. Hell, it actuall sounds better than the crap cougar I've been DDing. Still have to replace the thermo housing, thermo, and drop in the new radiator, but all in all I'm very happy.

• Like 1

Moar Lowar?

IMG_20140501_173812_zps4ad6dfd3.jpg

Ok, not really, but I present operation fix that mofuggin vibration:

The surgery room

IMG_20140501_164725_zps4503283c.jpg

The replacement

IMG_20140501_164515_zps9c03d41a.jpg

The repair

IMG_20140501_172436_zps2fa2a02e.jpg

And voila, a running 620 that now doesn't have that horrible carrier bearing donut anymore. Well, I say running. We decided to take out the old radiator and put in the new donor but ofc it doesn't fit 100%. We're gonna need to drill some holes and get a few bolts and nuts for it, but then it's back in driving business.

Got a call at work, looks like there are more issues that require me to keep the daily driven cougar for now. First there's a slow leak (one inch of fluid in 3 months) that is somehow connected to the rear resevior on the brake master cyl. There are some hoses to replace, mainly the radiator and crankcase breather hoses. I have to wire in the new fuse block (anyone got spare connectors for one?). Have to figure out my wiper motor issue, and wire in a tag light. That is all on top of figuring out the mounting for the new radiator and replacing the thermo housing and alternator mount.

All small stuff for the most part but working 13-14 hour days till Monday is a pain. The most upsetting part was putting in the new radiator and figuring out that we have to drill new holes to mount it. Sucks to have it running for half an hour just to screw it up cause you decide to throw another part on it and don't have the tools to finish the job (no drill)

Any tips on checking for that brake leak would be greatly appreciated.

Good idea, now I feel like an idiot :P

I'll start with the booster area since that's where most people have issues, and if that's not it I'll try the brakes themselves. Just to be sure, the rear resevior from the front of the truck, or the closest resevior to the booster, goes to the rear brakes right? We just found the out about the leak today so I haven't looked under the truck yet. Plan on working on it after work.

• 2 weeks later...

I never did post up proof, so here it is:

th_VID_20140515_130727_zps48e7db1d.jpg

EDIT: Clicky for video

Not the best quality. I still need to tighten down the alternator better. The mount has to be replaced cause the one I'm using has a bolt broken off in it. I have a replacement but we wanted to see if it was running before worrying about it. Not exactly road worthy, but it's getting there.

• 4 weeks later...