New guy, New problem

Beau_

Yup and one is ... sometimes .... usualy in front of the fuel tank on the feed line.

If not I would put one there (purely personal preference)

Some electric pumps need to be opened and cleaned as well (as you know)

Not always located there , but I would glance to make sure (wear wrap around eye goggles or you'll be cursing everyones mothers brothers uncles red-headed step child when evil debris jumps in your eyes.)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock '73 had two fuel pumps. The mechanical one on the engine and an electric one back by the tank. The electric pump has a canister filter inside.  Make sure the chokes are pushed up and are not binding. 

My '72 sat for 14 yrs, I changed all fuel filters and added one before the electric pump. I also dropped the tank, replaced all the  fuel and vapor hoses and flushed the tank.

'79 280zx distributor, if you can't find one, go with the pertronics.

Trust me, replace all the hoses for the fuel tank and drop it to flush it out, flush all the lines. Doing this first will eliminate fuel delivery as a possible cause.

Thanks for all the help guys. Im in the process of cleaning the carbs, but will have them back on by the end of this week. I will update and let you know if the problem is solved.

Also, thanks for clearing up my question about the vacuum inside the tank. That was driving me crazy!

• 1 month later...

Alright, its been awhile. Heres my new dilemma. I put the carbs back on and tried to fire it up. The starter kept clicking. I pulled it of and had it test. It passed. Went out today to work on it and nothing. No lights, no clicking. Nothing. Battery is charged and I check the fuses. None seem blown.

So my question, Is there like a main relay for these cars? I looked online and didnt really find anything. Im stumped again and any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the relays for pre FI S30s, but I know mine has both a main FI relay and a 12V accessory relay. Might be more likely that it's a bad fusible link. In engine bay, under a white plastic cover. They resemble short pieces of colored wire wire. Use an Ohmeter, check continuity and for high resistance.

FSM is your friend. Best schematic you will find. http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Thanks for the help. Turns out it was the fuse link. Now my issue is the starter wont engage the flywheel. I thought I put it on right. Never really had an issue with put a starter on. Hopefully, I will get it sorted out tomorrow and get this thing back on the road