My 5 speed broke.

78' 620 5 speed. Been having issues with getting into gears even at a dead stop car off every once in a while i had trouble putting it into first. Driving home last night sitting at a stop light. Turns green, go 1st > 2nd then try 2nd > 3rd. shifter goes into third I released the clutch and the rev sky rocketed. Transmission is in neutral and the shifter is in 3rd. tried all the other gears same thing, clutch or no clutch can move it into a gear but the shifter goes into all of them with no resistance with or without clutch. Car is 2 1/2 blocks from my house which is up a hill so now i get to get it towed.

Trying to get ideas as to what went wrong/ whats the damage/ whats the fix. Any information is appreciated for when i finally get to take it out.

My dad thinks he knows the issue, didn't go into to much detail seeing as i woke him up. Something about a pinion shearing off most likely due to wear and tear from auto crossing.

All this the night before i leave to Ohio for a week on vacation, what a joy coming back to this will be. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way you described it makes me think it's just time to find another 5 speed to swap in. If you want to know for sure what went wrong, drop it and crack the case.

Did you hear a pop, crunch, or any sounds that might indicate hard parts failing?

Tranny is good, when I got it we opened it up and it was clean and shiny, no problems at all. Got some more info out of my Dad 90% sure he knows what the problem is/fix.

There is only a small sound coming from it and not often so hopefully its just that pin.

This is how it looked when we opened it up.

l.jpg