racerx

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are similar to Pertronix.

Hitachi kit is at http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Hitachi-Distributors.htm

It is a points-replacement unit. Unlike the factory Matchbox distributors it is low amperage. It "Works with stock distributor and coil" or can use their high-voltage/low current coil. What you can't use is a regular high-energy (high current) coil. Just like the Pertronix Ignitor. Only the Pertronix Ignitor II is high-current and so can use an 0.7 amp EI coil.

I haven't had any reports from people actually using one.

found out that the hot spark needs higher ohm like 3 ohms +, currently have flamethrower (pertronix) and only 1.5 ohm.  If I go with Hot Sparks distributor more than likely have to install their coil or find something similar ohm reading or install a ballast resistor that is rated at 1.5 ohm. If the distributor I have that's been ID as a Datsun one and does not work may have to buy their distributor. I'm having a hard time finding a single point dist., called NIssan dealerships, Oreilleys, AutoZone, NAPA. and more.

Racerx

gert a know Datsun guy in your area to help you.

This is EZ to get running.

If your truck has power to the blk wht wire with key ON

and has pwer to a wire with key in START thats all you need the the truck to get this running. I dont know the color on the HOT start for the ealy 521 but mine was the blk red wire(thats has 2 wires goin in toa lug) This might be cut up and changed now.

persoanlly I think you can get what you have working. If you just hook it up per Mikes photo

thanks for the help..the 510 runs okay, not truck,  it's my vacuum advance that's not working. In order for my petronix to work it needs a single point dist. and can't find one on line or auto stores. I do have one single point dist. lying around that I bought (used) and will run that one on my car and hook up the petronix ign. system. then check with timing light to see if timing will advance.

As far as Hot Sparks, they recommend hi output voltage coil with higher  ohms, like 3 or so, that typical, with their distributor and I don't think the stock one is hi output voltage.

The Hot-Spark "recommended" coil is high-voltage but not high-current. It's an overdriven coil. The matchbox uses a real high-energy, high-current coil. Yes, the Hot-Spark web page says you can use a stock points coil. The stock coil is 1.5 + 1.5 resistor = 3 ohms.

Vacuum advance is not needed. It helps with part-throttle driving, but will run OK with the hose plugged -- and will make just as much HP.

yes that's only 2.8 ohms...but I think it's the voltage output of 40K or more is recommended.   And 3 ohms + that is needed.  In short, hi voltage output 40K or more recommended and a MUST for coil resistor of 3 ohms+ or else as said by HotSparks tech guy that running lower will burn our the elec. ignition.