New Member, New Car, New Set of Problems!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something still isn't right with that right front. Did you replace the strut, cuz it looks like I see two different ones in the pics. If it hasn't, I'd look at a bent strut tube, or bent insert.

You shouldn't need those camber adjusters at that ride height, they're a band-aid for something else that needs to be properly fixed.

It looked in the first couple pics like the crossmember was bent.

The strut is probably older on the passenger side, but still, you are right. I was planning on replacing the steering rack and cross member but since I am now jobless I have no other choice but to stay still.

The cross member doesn't look bent honestly from what I could tell up front, but either way it wouldn't hurt to slap on a different one to check if that does anything.

I did however find something interesting, I wish I would've taken pics of it.. Anyway, I had it up on a lift a couple of weeks ago and noticed that there's a dent right behind the brake line bracket on the passenger side. From what I could see directly underneath the car it bent some 1/4-1/3 inch(?), if that iirc. I'll try and see if I can take a closer look tomorrow and take some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Update time:

Since I was painting and everything was off on the front I decided to take an extra step and start removing both fenders so I can lessen the eyesore of the damage and rust. 

On to the pictures..

Today I managed to do the passenger side.

After some brushing with the drill since the home electrical circuit can't handle my die grinder. :(

SAM_0924_zps9761e010.jpg

SAM_0925_zpsaf6d3f95.jpg

SAM_0926_zpscd22475e.jpg

SAM_0927_zpscf251df0.jpg

Erhm... I have a feeling this is not suppose to be.

SAM_0929_zpsac8176ad.jpg

The infamous dogleg.. :(

SAM_0930_zps7c11174e.jpg

Damage... this is another consequence cause by hit.

SAM_0932_zps72fdcddc.jpg

Looking directly from below..

SAM_0933_zpsca54089e.jpg

SAM_0934_zpsdaad3755.jpg

SAM_0935_zps3819f1eb.jpg

The day ended after I sprayed it with rust primer.

SAM_0936_zps8ed0b240.jpg

SAM_0937_zps18158267.jpg

This is definitely not going to be a show car result since I have limited supplies but atleast the car will end up being all one color. lol

More to come tomorrow...

Update time:

Since I was painting and everything was off on the front I decided to take an extra step and start removing both fenders so I can lessen the eyesore of the damage and rust. 

On to the pictures..

Today I managed to do the passenger side.

After some brushing with the drill since the home electrical circuit can't handle my die grinder. :(

SAM_0924_zps9761e010.jpg

SAM_0925_zpsaf6d3f95.jpg

SAM_0926_zpscd22475e.jpg

SAM_0927_zpscf251df0.jpg

Erhm... I have a feeling this is not suppose to be.

SAM_0929_zpsac8176ad.jpg

The infamous dogleg.. :(

SAM_0930_zps7c11174e.jpg

Damage... this is another consequence cause by hit.

SAM_0932_zps72fdcddc.jpg

Looking directly from below..

SAM_0933_zpsca54089e.jpg

SAM_0934_zpsdaad3755.jpg

SAM_0935_zps3819f1eb.jpg

The day ended after I sprayed it with rust primer.

SAM_0936_zps8ed0b240.jpg

SAM_0937_zps18158267.jpg

This is definitely not going to be a show car result since I have limited supplies but atleast the car will end up being all one color. lol

More to come tomorrow...

so is this a built-in flourescent worklight or something i might giggle at?

The damage to the frame rail near the crossmember and TC rod mount is no joke. I wouldn't put ANY more work into the car unless you can get that rectified. It's going to take a LOT of work to straighten that out, and unless you're really good with a welder, it's likely not worth fixing. If I was you, I wouldn't waste another cent on that body, and instead find another straight body to transfer your parts to. Given the amount of other work the body needs, due to rust and dents, combined with the frame damage, it's going to be a money pit.

I figured as much. I'm not too worried about the dents and rust at the moment I'm just doing this to deter the rust spreading a bit for now at least. As for the frame damage, I've talked to a friend of mine that does body work and he has quoted me around $400 give or take... it'll probably be more. Even if I don't fix it I really just bought this car for these reasons, to beat on it, to try things I've never done to a good vehicle and to just enjoy it while it lasts. It might not be the most ideal riding experience, but I enjoy it for the time being. I don't have the money for a good project body or a whole other car, so I'm simply working with what I have.  :thumbup:

Well, then just enjoy it while it lasts, but I wouldn't spend any more money on it. The $400 quote to fix the frame seems unrealistic to me, because that kink means the whole right front wing will need to be cut off and replaced. Not an easy task, I know having done such work on my own cars. So drive it as is until you can pay to have it fixed, or find a donor body. I wouldn't work on any of the rust yet though, because if it turns out you can't fix the frame, any money spent elsewhere on the body will be wasted.

BTW, a body can be cheaper than you think. We've had a couple bodies on our local website that have sold for stupid cheap. One went for $0.99 on ebay, and the other is currently available for $100 with a title. It would be cheaper for you to source a different shell, than get the current one fixed. Just keep your eyes open, deals can be had.

http://desertdatsuns.freeforums.org/73-240-shell-very-little-rust-best-offer-buys-t2941.html

I dont think its THAT bad but I agree its a waste to put anything else into the body until you sort it out. 400 is way low, you dont just need the area looking good you need the whole front end squared up. 

• 3 weeks later...
So... I uhm.. I think one might say now that I may or may not have some issues that might need to be gone through with some sort of therapist..

SAM_1124_zpsb67c7d87.jpg

SAM_1125_zpsb9adbab6.jpg

SAM_1127_zpsb711e646.jpg

This is what happens when you take wild animals from there natural habitat. I have to do something ASAP before this turns ugly(er). :(

SAM_1128_zps8ce45acd.jpg

Thumbs down for the party pooper!

SAM_1129_zpsf43c9eba.jpg

SAM_1126_zps7fd99f92.jpg

Trip was waayy too long and weather was hell. I have to say though, the people were very nice... maybe even too nice. lol Just sucks I couldn't stay longer. We literally just loaded the thing up, replaced our blown spare tire, pumped gas, stopped at a BK and left immediately after.  :crying: 

Thanks guys. It's far, very far from a show quality paint job so there are some scratches from some wire wheel or grinder here and there, and the bondo might stick out like an eye sore, but it was either spray it down or go into a very steep uphill battle with the rust later. Either way, I just hope it comes out decent. lol I was originally going to go with the bare metal look like a fellow member on here once did with his 240z which I loved so hard it hurt, but since it had bondo in some places I had to disregard that idea.  :crying: