Need distributor help

Nismo1970

far ass I know the coil is never grounded unless told to by a set of points or the module and if grounded its on the trigger side of the - side coil.(this what turns ir ON/OFF)

so read this:

so in Datzenmikes photo with the blu wire(goes to -coil) from the remote box. find this wire and should go to the - side coil.

"GT 118 12V

Oil filled coil

Use with external resistor."????????????

key word is use with EXTERNAL reisitor. Since I dont see a resisitor this coil might be cooked already inside

youll need to buy a 78 or 79 coil from a 78 620 EI iignition and should be OK to run that voltage.

I dont know how this was running before unless you didnt say you fucked with it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok might give that a shot, shouldn't be that much. and ya i didn't mess with the coil at all.

It ran before, but sometimes it wouldn't start right off the bat. it would take a few cranks. and now it'll crank but it sounds like theres no spark to it, and after a few cranks the battary gets low.

That STILL sounds like a wiring problem

Now you need to test the wiring.

* Turn KEY ON, ENGINE OFF. Measure voltage at coil, be sure there is 12V between battery ground and the coil + terminal

* Crank the engine. Is there 12V *while* it is cranking? If not, that is a very common problem causing these symptoms.

That STILL sounds like a wiring problem

Now you need to test the wiring.

* Turn KEY ON, ENGINE OFF. Measure voltage at coil, be sure there is 12V between battery ground and the coil + terminal

* Crank the engine. Is there 12V *while* it is cranking? If not, that is a common problem causing these symptoms.

Ok so i changed out the coil, and it does run 12v when its key on engine off, but when i crank it it drops to 8v or so.

That's the problem. It must be full battery voltage during cranking (something less than 12V, but more than 8V). So check your BAT voltage during cranking.

There are two wires in the original harness that come from the ignition switch. If you only have one connected then you won't get the full voltage during cranking.

i agree with banzai, if your neg wire aint hooked up it wont run. go through mikes diagram and hook all your wires up that way, if it dont start then, look for your problem. from your pics your wiring is the problem. everything 12v takes 2 wires, neg and pos, if missing one it wont work. fix your neg wire before you do anything else or youll be pissing in the wind.

Test it.

1. Take the wire back off. Does it spin faster now? It should.

2. Put the wire back on. It will spin slower if it is firing.

* Jump start it, does it sping fast now?

* Clean (scrape) the battery cable ends and battery terminals down to bare shiny metal.

if GGzilla think its a low batt voltage ,you could try to find the HOT START wire just in case the RUN wire(ON) isnt reaaly giving the most voltage in the START posititon.

like what he said:

There are two wires in the original harness that come from the ignition switch. If you only have one connected then you won't get the full voltage during cranking.         There are two wires in the original harness that come from the ignition switch. If you only have one connected then you won't get the full voltage during cranking.         

untill you have it wired up like in Datzenmikes #14 post its not going to run.

to me to trouble shoot this is have the batt fully charged

take the wire goin in the center of the distributor capplace near ground and start no sprark then thats the issue. the dist is not telling the coil to fire.

get your 700$ back in the mean time.

thisis EZ to fix get somebody local to fix it for you

You could use Datzen mike photo of the whole set up on hoe to hook it up and give to this mechanic and say it dont run .

If there is not wire on the other side of the coil this isnt going to run right. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Be honest this should be fixed already its a simple hook up that even you can do if you read out instruction carefully. and the phoot tha Mike provided

You could use Datzen mike photo of the whole set up on hoe to hook it up and give to this mechanic and say it dont run .

If there is not wire on the other side of the coil this isnt going to run right. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Be honest this should be fixed already its a simple hook up that even you can do if you read out instruction carefully. and the phoot tha Mike provided

I just woke up, (i work nights) ill get out there right now and check the wiring and hook it up. thanks for the advice.