Hatch lift struts

grazapin

I recently acquired a 1975 B210 which is running great but has some typical old car issues, one being the need to prop the hatch in the open position with a custom static hatch lift (piece of wood) since the struts don't do anything besides make some noises when opening and closing the hatch. I've found several options for new replacements (Rockauto etc.) but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with any specific replacement models.

The car has the rear window defogger which makes electrical contact through brackets mounted to the strut, so that might complicate the replacement or limit my choices.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I just start trying parts to see what will work. I'm taking the hatch strut replacement on as a relatively straightforward first project on the car which has a number of other issues I'll be addressing as time goes on (gas gauge is stuck, needs a passenger side mirror, awesome AM radio is broken, cigarette lighter socket isn't powered...).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are blown out too, I have never replaced them. I just use a piece of wood also. Let me tell you, fucking hurts when that wood slides out. That hatch isn't terribly heavy. But when it falls on you and the latching mech hits you in the shoulder blade. It fucking hurts.

Also I had the little plastic cups for the rear defrost break on the driver side. I had to wire in my rear defrost.. 

Since I took a closer look when I took the pictures I guess it's not as complicated as I first thought with the wiring since all the pieces are intact. Looks like it should easily attach to a new strut given it's the same outer diameter as the old strut. Replacements look to be about $18 each so I'll probably just order some and hope for the best unless someone chimes in with some personal experience.

That's my fear about using the stick to prop up the hatch, that I'll be leaning in there getting something out of the back and as I pull my arms back I bump that stick with my elbow and take a whack to the head, neck, or back.

Since I took a closer look when I took the pictures I guess it's not as complicated as I first thought with the wiring since all the pieces are intact. Looks like it should easily attach to a new strut given it's the same outer diameter as the old strut. Replacements look to be about $18 each so I'll probably just order some and hope for the best unless someone chimes in with some personal experience.

That's my fear about using the stick to prop up the hatch, that I'll be leaning in there getting something out of the back and as I pull my arms back I bump that stick with my elbow and take a whack to the head, neck, or back.

Two nights ago it got me in the shoulder :rofl:  Sharp pain every time i shifted.  Be careful lol....

I ended up ordering a pair of the Strongarm 4729 http://www.avmind.com/ecat/ShowPart.aspx?BrandNumber=4729

8347943036_e038ba2102_z.jpg

Had a hard time getting this pin out of the u-bracket at the top of the old struts so I drilled them out and replaced them with appropriate diameter 3/4" bolts and nylock nuts on the new struts:

8346841559_c096ed38df_z.jpg

The rear window defroster brackets easily attached to the new struts. I had to tap the hole in the side of each u-bracket so the top defroster bracket screw would thread in. I did end up breaking one of the bottom shoulder bolts that attaches the strut to the side of the cargo area. Tacoma Screw is light on metric shoulder bolts so I'll have to find a replacement elsewhere. Anyone have any extras? :)

8346897663_dc9ed65e7d_z.jpg

That's where I found the Strongarms but they don't show up in that list on Rockauto anymore because I got the last 2. :)

It looks like the Sachs comes with the hatch brackets so you won't have to mess with removing those annoying pins in the u-bracket in order to reuse the existing hatch brackets.