electronic ignition question

AWSpoofwil

Hey my 78 620 and it recently started missing really bad. So bad in fact I found fuel in the air intake from the carburator not being able to process it because of the one missing cylinder. So my dad and I thought there could be moisture in the distributor cap ( there is none) or maybe the spark plugs are bad.. anyways we were wondering what the spacing is supposed to be between the 4 lobed spindle rotor and the magnetic pickup trigger. Thoughts, ideas, answers?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spacing on the distributor reluctor & pickup won't cause missing on one cylinder. It is supposed to be 8-16 thousands inch.

To find out why it is missing, start with a compression test to rule out a non-fixalble problem.

Next, pull the spark plug wires out of the cap (one at a time) to look for a corroded terminal. If you find one, measure the resistance of that wire. If it is over 1000 ohms per foot, replace it.

Thanx everyone! My dad and I swapped all of the spark plugs and it worked! But i do have one more concern.. and its not realty electrical, but when I really stomp on the gas (even if I'm stopped and in neutral) it takes a quarter of a second to really spool up. Like the throttle lag is immense.. any way to keep the decent fuel economy but still fix this problem?