1976 Datsun 620 5 Speed swap

Jan_280Z

Hello all

This past weekend I found a late model (79-83) close ratio 280ZX transmission for sale nearby. My brother drives a 76 620 with a 4 speed, but since his new job requires him driving on the freeway I decided I may buy the 5 speed for Christmas to help him save some gas in the long run.

From all the searching I've done on this site all Z and ZX trans are bolt on, is this correct? I would like to make sure I don't have to do anything other then swap the collar over? Is it as simple as removing the old trans and bolting on the 5 speed? I've never done a trans swap in one of these (I helped do one in a Z and it took us 45 minutes, we were in a hurry :-) ). Any advice, hints, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the slave cylinder from the truck. So just unbolt it and wire it so the hose isn't strained like you do when hanging calipers.

One thing that helps, cut down some head bolts or get some longer bolts with the heads cut off, long enough to use as alignment dowels so the trans can hang on while lining up the trans to the engine, then screw them out once the trans is on the engine.

The issue I had was that the transmission I got rid of was a different length than the 5-speed I bought, so I needed to get a different length driveshaft as well.

But I think the '75 and newer ones were all the same length?

Mmmm, someone else will be able to clarify my ramblings.

• 1 month later...

Guys and Gals

A few more question for you all. I'm pulling a trans out of 77 280z. From what I read on a few searches that you have to replace the speedo pinion. What exactly is this and do I need to replace the gear while I'm at it? Secondly, is pulling the trans on these as simple as it is in Z, by that I mean once everything is out of the way can I just yank the thing out or it there a special way to do this?

I'd just like to know everything before I get my hands all sorts of covered in oil.

Thanks

Jan

The trams will be the corect length.

The speedo gear come out and you can swap in the one from the 4 speed

To swap the Trans the driveshaft has to be pulled, the Trans cross member has to come out and it might be a little tricky slipping it out of there. I removed my Trans tunnel cover plate to help manoover it and I had to remove the clutch for the Trans to clear. You should plan on doing the clutch while you're at it so just put it back on after the Trans is up in position before you bolt it back to the motor. With 2 people it shouldn't be that bad. I did mine by myself in my driveway and it was my first tranny swap ever haha