carb issue?

thestrange

Now that i have my truck running reliably, i am having another small issue. i can drive all day long with no problems, but when i shut off my truck it will chug for 5-10sec with the key off. it also has a high idle after it's warmed up. the idle is probably from a vacuum leak, that i know. but what would make it keep running after its shut off?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They rarely get stuck open. What happens is they get stuck CLOSED (or are disconnected) and someone then resolves the resulting no-idle condition by cranking the idle speed screw in, making it idle on the mains. Then it will sure as hell diesel. Especially if they cranked the idle speed screw in so much they made it idle fast (since it doesn't idle very well on the mains to begin with).

They rarely get stuck open. What happens is they get stuck CLOSED (or are disconnected) and someone then resolves the resulting no-idle condition by cranking the idle speed screw in, making it idle on the mains. Then it will sure as hell diesel. Especially if they cranked the idle speed screw in so much they made it idle fast (since it doesn't idle very well on the mains to begin with).

Quoted for truth. Seen it just this last weekend on an 86 B11 Sentra.

Depends on if the weber has an idle cutoff solenoid or not. Some do, most don't. But high idle like that indicates the choke isn't set right, and is remaining partially closed, leaving it in high idle. And that will cause run on, though Webers are notorious for run-on anyway (particularly the one without the idle cut solenoid).

It appears to be the 32/36 DGEV. It will also sputter when the secondary opens (most likely clogged jet?) I fiddled with the choke a little by cleaning the wire contact, and making sure the spring inside was clean. Then I put it exactly back the way it was. Should I try adjusting the choke housing, to see if that's the issue? I also plan on gutting and cleaning the carb when I get some cash, can I just get a weber gasket kit from autozone or Napa?