B210 Carburetor Replace/Rebuild

Mike210

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but not really new to the B210.

I recently acquired a 1978 B210 GX. It runs ok, but could be better. It seems as though the vacuum advance does not suck very well. It does not advance the timing very much at all. If I take the hose off the carb, the engine keeps on going as if there is no vacuum leak at all, and I can not feel much vacuum at all on the little vacuum hose attachment on the carb.

I used to have a 1976 B210 and the vacuum advance hose had much more suck in it. And if I took the hose off the carb, the engine would usually die. That's why I think there is something wrong with my 1978 B210.

Also, the car idles really rough in the morning, even on a warm morning. It usually will die unless it has been running for more than 5 minutes. I checked for vacuum leaks and there definitely are none.

My question is this:

What would be the best action? I like simplicity, longevity, and fuel economy. Should I send off my carb to be rebuilt, or can I simply acquire a rebuilt carb? Or would it be better to go after market??

If I send off my carb, where would be a good place to send it?? I'm in Kansas City, but I don't mind sending it in the post.

I also found this site for a replacement: http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/lookup.aspx?partnum=DAT205 That's the best price I've found so far. I didn't see anything on ebay under $150, and most carbs were over $200.

Any info is good info. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could get a weber carb and just be done with it, they are simple. Your fuel economy won't be as good, performance a little better. Should solve the carb issue from here out, and webers are reliable. Not saying your original one isn't. or hasn't been for 30+ years....

How will a weber improve this? None of the problems listed suggest a bad carburetor.

I take the hose off the carb, the engine keeps on going as if there is no vacuum leak at all
That is normal. It won't make any vacuum until above idle speed.

It seems as though the vacuum advance does not suck very well. It does not advance the timing very much at all.
Very common. Inside the distributor, the ball bearing get loose and the plate doesn't turn. Take the cap off and see if you can spot any ball bearings down there.

the car idles really rough in the morning, even on a warm morning
Adjust the choke, even on warm mornings it will help the engine run smoothly.
  • Like 1

Izzo, I thought about Webers, but I'd like to keep the original air cleaner set up. And I really like the fuel economy with my original carb.

ggzilla, I'll check inside my distributor and adjust the choke. Those are good ideas. I had simply experienced more sucktion on the vacuum line with other vehicles, so I thought something might be wrong with my Datsun when I did not feel as much sucktion as I was used to feeling.

thanks guys.