negative battery cables getting hot.

thestrange

Hello, I am new here and relatively new to the datsun/Nissan scene. my problem is usually my 82 720 turns over fine, however once and awhile the starter rotates once then sticks. so i have to keep bumping the key and eventually its fire. i have cleaned up all the ground cables, the hot wire ends to the starter, and pulled the starter and tested it. after trying the ground cables at the battery get really hot, and the starter smokes a little. the only thing i could think of is replacing the hot wire to the starter. any other ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the starter is smoking its got an issue, the wires wont make a starter smoke. id suggest just swapping it out as they arent that expensive thru autozone and have a lifetime warrenty. also check to make sure you dont have any sections in the cables with extreme bends where the wire inside may have broken and you arent geting full use of all the wire in it cause that can cause it to draw more to do the same job due to resistance.

Ok thank you. when i had the starter out, i hooked it straight to the battery with jumper cables tapping it with the positive in short bursts. i did that about 15 times making sure to do it quickly to simulate starting the truck, it didn't get hot, or get stuck. i realise out of truck there is no resistants against the starter, ill swap the starter when i get sonera cash. thanks again for the fast reply.

mine did similar things, except it was slugish on the turn over, like a ruh-ruh ruuh-ruuh sound... so i added more grounding straps. one from the battery to cab, battery to motor, motor to frame, cab to frame. no longer have a ground cable getting hot or a sluggish starter. might try checking that you have enough ground to the starter, so it isnt drawing a large amount of amps thru one cable.