Ok she is all buttoned up but runs like dookie!

mantas

Well i got her all fired up and running pretty good. Still would not run this morning so i took off the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner, made a paper gasket started her and did some adjustments to the carb. At the moment the engine is pretty dialed in, no more backfires or at least i couldnt get it to backfire the last few times i had her running. Once i get the timing light i'll do a bit more work but for now im spent, don't even want to look at that thing for a few days.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear it is running

Chalk up one more reason not to use RTV.

Quite honestly rtv would never work on that surface. I realized it when i seperated the carb from the adapter plate. Good call on that one. Been feeling kinda under the weather so im going to mock up the accelerator cable and leave that thing be until i have more energy for it. But im quite glad its running better. At least now when i play with the idle mixture screw it does make it run differently where as before it did nothing lol.

Another update. It runs great, but my ignition wiring must be jacked up, when i turn the key i have to hold it half way turned for the car to stay on otherwise it dies. Anyone know what this may be? Change the ignition cylinder with a new one and still the same problem. Sometimes it magically fixes itself, and when i turn the key off sometimes the engine won't shut off, it will keep on shaking violently in an attempt to keep running. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise this thing drives good besides the occasional hickup and backfire - gotta clean the carb i think the primary jet is leaking, may be flooding?

when i turn the key i have to hold it half way turned for the car to stay on otherwise it dies

Could be the Run wire is disconnected on the resistor. And is only running on the Start wire. To test this, measure voltage at coil. Is it dead with engine off, key in RUN?

i turn the key off sometimes the engine won't shut off, it will keep on shaking violently in an attempt to keep running
That's called dieseling, and is what the anti-diesel valve is for. It's unrelated to hold-the-key-partway problem.

Well i'll get into the testing a bit later but i basically had to rewire half my harness running to the cylinder. It was all corroded and probably shorting. Then i found out one of the + wires going to the coil was corroded and was probably arcing to the frame. So i have the dash out, the harness out, and i found a few other wires that need to be take care off. Once its all back in i'll see if the problem persists.

had to rewire half my harness running to the cylinder????????What???????

Only the + wire going to the coil or the spark plug wire would be related to #2.

If the +12coil wire it would be all cylinders that would be bad not just #2.the rotor directs the spark to the cap then to the plug wire to the cylinder and if compression then it will light off

Most of the wires runing to they key cylinder, or ignition switch were bad, i guess thats what i was trying to say but failed. They were old and cracked, probably because the key cylinder was replaced a few times and the wires were left to hang. Then the +12 wire to the dizzy was so old that it had no insulation around it and was a couple of mm's from touching the frame. In either case, i went through the whole harness and checked each wire for corrosion, found about 4 that needed to be fixed, otherwise everything else was ok. Also used some electrical tape to tie up the wires.

Before:

8205766519_3bb74cee9b_z.jpg

Harness1 by onedolla99cents, on Flickr

After:

8205766483_265d784261_z.jpg

Harness2 by onedolla99cents, on Flickr

Well the wiring solved the starting problem and seems like it shuts off right away. The fact that it fires right up and i don't have to hold the key is good enough for me. Decided to paint the dash. Used plastic paint that i had left over from painting the cowl on my s14. It should last, but in either case its a lot better looking than it was before.

8208361793_28870ce3d0_z.jpg

Untitled by onedolla99cents, on Flickr

This is the uglyness under the dash. Painted the vents and steering wheel adapter.

8209454142_bfd9c6c5cc_z.jpg

Cleaned the wiring harness in the engine bay as well because i like wire tucks.

8209455282_6c062e110e_z.jpg

I know it does not look like my rb25 but i tried hahaha.

8186382987_69f22d14c8_z.jpg

pretty clean rigs

Thank you sir, but both are nowhere near completion. I can't wait to post up a few dash pix, came out really nice compared to what it looked like before. I'll even tackle the cracks in the dash when i have a moment.