late model 260z HEI help

akumazedex

Hey, I want to switch over to HEI on my 260z, I have a ZX L28E with a 260z Dizzy. Ive looked high and low for write-ups for HEI on a 260 with little help.

Heres what ive figured out cross referencing 240 and 260 wiring diagrams, id like to know if i got this right.

Sorry for the crappy diagram, im oldschool lol.

279E5783-58E7-4928-8C6F-3E6FCF502B02-13805-000003E000FC3B16.jpg

Ive labled the wires on the coil/ign side the factory colors/codes that appear in the 260 wiring diagram.

B-Black

W-White

L-Blue

let me know if I got this right or if someone has a link to a write up thats not a 240z or 280z, Im retard when it comes to S30's LOL

THANKS!

AKUMA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right they all got early electronic ignitions.

Well the right hand side appears to be wired correctly. The left side is just a coil of wire that has a small electric pulse induced by the stator. This trigger signal is sent to the HEI unit. There is no power sent to the distributor so nothing to burn out if wired 'backwards'. So hook it up if it doesn't work, swap the left side W and G wires. It will likely work either way.

• 3 months later...

So after looking for days for more info on this, i cant seem to find a clear answer for my specific situation

***im keeping the stock coil and ballast resistor***

my transistor unit (ignition control module) went out and decided to repalce with a GM 4 pin hei. my ballast resistor is 3 pin insetad of 2 on a 240z. all the write ups refer to a msd or petronix coil and does away with the resistor ballast but no provision ive come across to keep the ballast on a 260z.

heres the stock setup.

20130216144606large.jpg

and heres where i am right now in the diagram.

heiu.jpg

There's a 4 pin connector that connects everything to the coil/ballast resistor. Two of those wires are power wires, one hot on crank one hot in run, you connect those two together and use that to power up the module.

The black and green wires on the dizzy is your signal to the HEI. One positive one negative. Don't remember which ones which. And then the last one on the HEI is to the coil. I'll make a write up tomorrow when I get the tach sorted out.

I completely got rid of the resistor but I think I need that to get signal to the tach. Like I said, I'll post a write up in my build thread tomorrow when I get it all figured out. :P

Here's mine, I'll post up better pics too.

B2327822-335A-404E-A77E-9E503F735854-267