L20b cured! (thanks guys!)

pulled the carb and decided to remove some of the left over emission pipes, they get in the way on carb work.

no big hurry may as well do some extra work while its apart.

Checked the oil again, and it is about one or 2 quarts over full, and stinks like gas and oil. I will get that changed before i try to start it again.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All is well! Had time to swap a good fuel pump and spare carb on yesterday before work, I had a disappointment, i dropped the old sunpro timing light that my dad had when i was a kid and now wont light up, need to set timing warm it up and check the valve lash hot and this puzzle is solved.

Next i get a webber! both my hitachis seem a bit worn even with rebuilds.

Thanks again for all the advice offered.

Fuel pump went bad and thus over full crank case,it was getting some fuel to the carb but alot went in the crank case. spare hitachi works but has a tiny leak on the shaft for the throttle. I do need a new timing light to get the timing set, its not going to be a daily driver for now, so i am glad it starts and finally idles decent and isn't running so rich as it was. Also adjusting the valves brought the compression up in all cylinders. All is well because i now know what little details need taken care of. When a vehicle sits for 20 years it makes for a lot of little bugs to work out.

Maybe momma will get me a weber for Christmas.

I agree, I have been working every day (well nights) so i haven't had alot of time to spare, it may seem like i have multiple hours invested, in reality it was just a few hours total. I also learned a lot about the engine which will be handy for future problems.

For the first time since i have had it the engine warmed up, it always ran cool.