Motor swap and some epic broken parts

Smyrna720

Remember when I said I got the truck back and said it had a rod knock? Well, that's what I thought. More on that later.

Here we are at the junkyard.

284147_521006447929287_87846728_n.jpg

Yeah, that' how we roll.

Look at that nasty sucker!

IMAG1139.jpg

Now, available in clean.

IMAG1140.jpg

Pulled the motor out and fell in!

227540_521005934596005_380371841_n.jpg

Alternative power.

149679_521005544596044_1484784429_n.jpg

Well, now that the motor is out, lets look inside and see what happened.

IMAG1142.jpg

Ruh, roah Shaggy.

IMAG1144.jpg

IMAG1145.jpg

IMAG1146.jpg

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

246501_521007024595896_888698048_n.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

We're thinking a rod bolt let go when the PO was hauling ass down the interstate, probably around 4000ish RPM.

Well, new oil pan going on the junkyard motor, since those assholes punched a hole in the old pan to drain the oil.

IMAG1156.jpg

Gayness.

IMAG1153.jpg

Motor dropping in. Oh, I didn't know it until I pulled it, the the blown up motor had a brand new clutch on it. Suhweet!

IMAG1157.jpg

Wrapping it up on the first night

IMAG1158.jpg

After a long day, I got this far. Foiled by a fucking needle and seat. I drained the gas let it sit for a while empty. Filled it full of fuel and the carb is just DUMPING fuel in. Gonna rebuild it tonight.

IMAG1160.jpg

Soon....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice and easy to put in and take out right?? i can get mine out, take it apart and get it back together and running in 5 hours. haha. done it wayy too many times haha. looks good!!!!!

Thanks man. Yeah, between not having done it before and drinking beers, I don't think we did too bad.

Oh yeah, and this is bad, right?

IMAG1168.jpg

IMAG1170.jpg

Rods don't come loose. Unless it was taken out and not torqued properly. It's much more likely it was run without oil. This likely didn't happen all of a sudden and was driven for some time with a lot of warning. Such a waste.

Rods don't come loose. Unless it was taken out and not torqued properly. It's much more likely it was run without oil. This likely didn't happen all of a sudden and was driven for some time with a lot of warning. Such a waste.

It was full of oil when I checked it right after it happened and there was no antifreeze in the oil either.

I don't know if you caught the backstory on it or not, but I bought the truck sans title from a third party. I then got the title and was waiting on the PO to come back to Tennessee to sign the title after he split town since he got in a little trouble. When he came back, instead of signing my title, he went and got another title and took the truck back.

Fucking douche bag.

Anyways, about 6 weeks later, he text messages me and says I can have the truck back, he blew the motor up and it's sitting on the side of the interstate. I went and got it that night, got the LEGIT paperwork on it, and this is what I was left with. It was originally pulled off to the LEFT shoulder of the interstate telling me that he was hauling ass when it let go. I'd guess it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4000 RPM depending on exactly how fast he was going. I've spun it up to 4500 RPM in high gear before, so I know it would go at least that fast, but there's no telling.

It always had a tick that I thought was an exhaust leak and a louder tick when you first started it up, which I attributed to the timing chain tensioner. Maybe I was wrong and it was just a ticking time bomb. We will probably never know.

man, thats rough luck... i run my z24 to 6 grand all the time. i used to cruise at 3,500 (4.60 gears) the only thing that has gone wrong is a blown hose- engine looses water- head gasket blows.. just toss a new gasket on. run a file across the head for good measure, and it down the road... it seems like your last motor had been highly neglected... tisk tisk on po