L28 spun bearing

doomdatsun

hi all,

been searching for an L28 for some time now and a friend says he have one, problem is that it has a spun bearing, I'm thinking that I might need some work on it which is cost wise not good, what do you say guys, would the L28 bottom end be strong enough not to get damaged by that bearing?

note: I can't have a look at it unless I buy it, he is asking about 100 bucks (in your currency) for it without any manifolds

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A spun bearing, (usually a rod bearing) is almost always from lack of oil lubrication. Without oil, the bearing will grind away and can get hot enough to melt. Friction and wear will make the bearings thin enough to slip one behind the other or weld to the crank and begin spinning with it. I've seen bearing shells as thin as a razor blade.

If a rod bearing, the very least the crank is ruined and more often than not the rod as well. If a main the crank and the block.

I've pulled motors with bearing problems and the metal particles have been sucked up into the oil pump destroying it. If you have any doubts spin the oil filter off and dump out the oil. If it looks like brown metallic paint that's the bearing material.

Can't see this being worth more than scrap unless the head is needed or has a cam in it you want.