Matchbox!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you are in any wrecking yards near you look for the '79 620, 80 '720, 79 A10 (HL510) '79 S10 (200sx) These willall have L series matchbox distributors on them.

The '80-'81 A10 (HL510) and the '80 S110 (200sx) will have a similar 4 plug matchbox distributor that will work.

The '78 620, '78 S10 (200sx) Will have another form of electronic ignition called a Remote Igniter that has the igniter box mounted on the kick panel pass side under the dash. You will need this box to make it work. This box is about the size of two packs of playing cards and was miniaturized for '79 and mounted on the outside of the distributor... making it a true 'matchbox'

Youur info helped me a lot, thank you. I found a 78 620 but I forgot to grab the box under the dash.

There was so many wires going to it, I need theses of coures?

I think I'm going to keep looking for a matchbox. Or

Another question,

Are all the Pertronix the same? Should I just go with the this, its just way easyer to get.

Idk what to buy, theirs differnt types I'm sure.

Youur info helped me a lot, thank you. I found a 78 620 but I forgot to grab the box under the dash.

You can use a GM HEI ignition module instead of the "box" from under the dash with the distributor you got from the salvage yard.

Here's the link to the page with all the wiring info on it. :thumbup:

http://community.rat...l-motors-4-cyl/

The box is located on the pass side kick panel up beside the glove box. Just get it and it's wiring and several inches of the harness and cut it out You can just splice it together later. I mounted my igniter box in the engine bay above the master cylinder. I just made sure water couldn't get in it and had it there for years.

Yes that is a remote igniter type electronic distributor. It requires an igniter box that looks like this...

DatsunEI006Large.jpg

They are located under the dash on most every '78 and up Datsun car and truck.

Tell the truth it's cheaper and easier to get a General Motors HEI unit and wire it in. They are the equivalent of the Nissan 'matchbox' and are at all auto parts stores. Here's one below bolted to the inner fender. Take note that you will need an electronic ignition coil to go with the distributor. The old points on cannot handle the extra current drawn through them and will over heat burn out. Not maybe... guaranteed! A '78 or '79 620 coil will work fine.

wiringHEI4.jpg

GMHEIconnections.jpg

How easy it that?.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.