WANTED .... Power Steering wanted for a 1973 Datsun 620, pick up.

I am looking for the following;

1. One complete Power steering box, with The Steering columb, and Pitman arm.

2. One Power Steering pump, with ALL of the Brackets for a L 20 B motor.

3. Basically Everything that I would need to Switch over to Power Steering.

Thanks,

George.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Her's what I did...

'78 or '79 280zx power steering box (later ones were rack and pinion)

720 steering column.

D-21 power steering pump and hydraulic lines and reservoir.

Mount the 280zx box to the 620 frame. Not a perfect fit and some custom mounting needed. Remove the pitman arm and slip the 620 pitman arm on. It will mount 180 degrees different to the zx arm.

Install 720 column. There are several kinds but they all have a collapsible spline and have a U joint bend. All will have a rag joint. I had to make my own rag joint out of a piece of 3/8" rubber conveyor belt. The 720 and zx flanges were different.

I made a custom mount for the D21 pump below the 620 distributor where the air pump would have been. The separate reservoir I mounted above it on the inner fender. Looking back now I should have got a one piece pump and reservoir from a 720 or a Z car that mounts up on the fuel pump mounting studs and run an electric fuel pump.

This does in no way 'bolt in'. There were many things to figure out and overcome and custom on off parts to make. The results were well worth it. With the weight climbing as well as the height and tire size it was a bitch to park. With power steering I could instantly throw it into the other lane to avoid accidents. It was scary fast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.