now I have them all. (z22 ?s)

datsunfish

Well,I scored a very nice z 22 off craigslist today.Some glazing but nothing in the way of a top ridge or vertical scoring.Came with everything for $75.Actually $80 since he didnt have change but whatever.

Now rather than doing my old L20b I shall persue this as a LZ hybrid.

Pretty sure I know what to do but I was wondering it the pistons will have necessary clearance for a L head since they are scooped for naps valves.Also,I need to use the L20b chain right?

I now have a killer L16 in my 521,L18 in the 620,l20b in the basement,lz 22 project and a naps 24 that I am unsure if I should hybrid it or just go TBI in the 620.hmmmm.:D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crank and cam sprockets are the same size (same teeth) but the Z cams sit lower on the head so you will need the longer L20B chain. In fact, use all the L20B timing parts. The Z water pumps are larger inside and have a different bolt pattern plastic fan. The pumps are identical in size and will swap so I would keep it as long as the larger fan is no problem. Did you get the fan with the motor? I have a spare.

I have cc'd the Z heads and they are huge, so using the smaller L20B head chamber results in an increase in compression. An open chamber L head on a Z22S motor will equal a 9.87 compression ratio. This assumes there is a 9.32cc dish in your pistons or are they flat tops with small eye brow reliefs cut into them??? What was this motor out of, 720 truck, HLA 510 or 200sx???

Out of a 720.It has the small dish with the eyebrows.I plan to use it in the 521 so I will need to use a non clutch fan for clearance.I will likely use my ported a87 with the 450/268 cam with twin 40mm mikunis.Basically a sometimes driven screamer.I am going to have to replace the rearend with a 411 and likely rid of the short 4 tranny.It probably wouldnt last long.If I do the TBI naps 24 in the 620 I will use the dogleg in it for the 521.Or a long shaft 4 speed.Probably stronger.

Definitely a Z22S then, plenty of dish.

One of the guys on 'the realm' has an LZ22 dual sides and cam in his 510. I'll see if I can locate some pics or info.

I wouldn't use the dog leg in behind this. I'd get a later Z car 5spd, something stronger.

I have used the z22 blocks for years z24 block have a reputation of cracking though. My dad(racecar68dad) has all the info on building a rocket z22 hybrid which he has done for me and i know i have spun that motor well over 9000 a few times and alot of 8200 or higher for hundreds of laps on cheap parts. If you have any more z22 blocks let me know as i am getting ready to build a high dollar hybrid very soon.