Floor board unibody integrity concern

hapamoto

I recently purchased my Helen.....a 72 510 with a 1st gen 13b J bridge ported rotary motor, mazda trans and rear end. I thing of beauty.... Problem is the throw out bearing went south and I'm realizing that the install for the trans was not done to my liking.

I want to cut a larger section from where the firewall begins to curve down around the trans and all the way back to where the gear shift comes up into the car and then replace it with new sheet metal that will allow me to raise the area around the transmission (the floor board in the center) so it does not rub.

Will this damage or hinder the strength of the unibody construction?

Thanks for any replies.....

Hapamoto!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't reccomend it ...... there's absolutely NOTHING structural anywhere on a 510 ... :frantics: ... good luck finding something to weld to

If you had to do it .. I'd hope the rocker panels/floors are rust free first, and MANY cross-braces welded in, from rockers to frame rails, up to the removed windsheild/a-pillars, WITHOUT any motor/trans suspended by the weakend body .. you can bend a 510 trans. tunnel in the wind