Question about Grant Steering wheel teeth thing.

buster69

my steering wheel alignment is all jacked up and theres some slop between turning the wheel and when it actually engages.

i pulled off the hub last night and noticed a little ring type plate underneath the hub, with teeth that connect with the steering column shaft teeth, and the little plate the teeth were all worn down, and my steering keeps shifting out of alignment when i make u turns at slow speed.

my question is, is there a part number for this little teeth plate? i have a grant aftermarket wheel. does it come with the hub adapter kit?

it's not a huge deal for me since ive adapted to it. I just have to always realign it like once every month.

510_076A_1_vga.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the teeth are stripped out of it - this means go get a new one. Pronto. And don't drive it in the mean time, because once those go, you're SOL. Hopefully, not into a ditch or something.

The grant adapters are cheap, and you can get them at pretty much any auto parts store that carries Grant products. O'Reilley's comes to mind here.

I think the hub adapters are like $20 out the door, if not they are somewhere close to that. I'd definitely go and get one. When you install it, check the steering column really well and make sure it isn't damaged itself. The adapters are pot metal and if they aren't installed correctly or if they've been abused (as in removed/installed wrong multiple times) they'll wear out. They should be put on clean, and the lock nut should be installed at the correct torque (I don't remember what that is off-hand - but the instructions should tell you proper torque specs). That lock-nut holds it in place and prevents it from moving or shifting up the column splines. Usually that's what causes them to fail - that nut getting loose over time. Once it's loose, it just continues to eat up the adapter until it becomes stripped.

It's at this point that we should all tell you not to even drive your car unitl you get it fixed. It's one of those things you don't take chances with!

Also make sure that the three bolts holding the wheel adapter to the hub assembly are torqued corectly as well. They don't require loctite but if it's going to be permanent then I would put a little on them just incase - if those get loose, it allows the wheel mount itself to move a tad, but only like maybe 1/32 of a 'turn' of the wheel (that was vague, I know.)