Z24i gearbox fit onto L18?

zed

There is a gearbox for sale here - advertised as coming out of a 1986 Nissan Hardbody with Z24i motor. Price about US$200. Would it bolt onto my L18 in my Nissan Hardbody truck? My current gearbox has done about 200k miles - so it would be nice to have a spare

thanks for any advice

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L and Z series motors sit at different angles in the engine compartment and the transmissions reflect this. A Z series transmission mounted to an L motor will be tilted towards the driver by about 23 degrees. The rubber mounts, engine and transmission, will be stretched (if you can even bolt them up) and the shifter will be in the passenger's hip. Also there may be length differences also.

We only got the L18 for about one year ('74) and only on an old 4 speed (F4W63)

Do you know if your L18 and Z24i transmissions are the same, other than the orientation of the engine mounting bolts? We had FS5W71B and FS5W71C transmissions and the front L case half can be swapped with the front case half from a 71C so it could be used on the L18.